Items of interest on DealExtreme.

The first two are too big for any portable. The third screen might be new and itsn't badly priced. The fourth looks like a recase and is way too overpriced for a DX screen.

the 4th one is odd, the insides are different than the one that hail reviewed, and the 7" is the one nintendott has.

The first one would be perfect for the DC Laptop I briefly thought about making (I realized I should finish YAP64 first)

There's been a DC tablet sort of thing, and afro has been planning a DC laptop but I've not heard anything about him even starting the thing yet.

dctop.png

Rough sketch (quick paint job) of the DC Laptop.

Features:
-integrated battery
-fairly chunky, not overly big but fairly thick
-awkward but possible to use as a fliptop
-integrated batteries, VMU, and controller
-four controller ports and AV out
-TI card power

Oh wow, the first screen is exactly what I need to finish my NES laptop.

I like both ideas. Only problem with laptops is that their battry life (if they have one) is a lot shorter that those of handhelds because of the screens higher power draw.

The Question said:
I like both ideas. Only problem with laptops is that their battry life (if they have one) is a lot shorter that those of handhelds because of the screens higher power draw.

Wait, what? Where did you get that idea? First, not all laptops have larger screens. Secondly, there's usually more room for batteries, so you can make it just as long.

The reason laptops have bad battery life is not the screen. :-/ It is generally the fact that laptops use X86 based CPU chipsets, and handhelds are using RISC, ARM, or MIPS based ones that eat a fraction of the power.

PalmerTech said:
The reason laptops have bad battery life is not the screen. :-/ It is generally the fact that laptops use X86 based CPU chipsets, and handhelds are using RISC, ARM, or MIPS based ones that eat a fraction of the power.

Wait, what? We were talking about homemade laptops, not commercial ones.

Back