Is Windows 10 worth the free upgrade?

Discussion in 'Forum 47' started by J.D, Aug 13, 2016.

1. J.D

J.D No Stranger To Love

I've been a Windows 7 user since 2009, and I've never had much of a problem with it. I prefer it over XP and 8, and I'd use Wine too often to make the switch to Linux a worthwhile endeavor. However, I'm a bit worried that 7 is going to become antiquated within the next couple years, and would like to use something with full-fledged support behind it. I haven't heard much of anything about Windows 10, other than the pop-ups that Windows disguised as a "very important update".

EDIT: Is there a way to change the appearance of the forum? Looks like GameFAQs forum circa-2004.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

Didn't the free upgrade period stop some time in July?

3. vskid3

vskid3 Well-Known Member

Slowpoke much? The year of 10 being free ended a couple weeks ago. I didn't do it, too many stories about it not working with older hardware. I would probably stick with it if I bought a system that came with it, though.

4. Blargaman91

Blargaman91 Well-Known Member

Well it did cause some driver issues for me with my desktop computer, but those were easily fixed and now my devices work better than they did on Windows 7.

5. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

You're late to the party by a fair bit, but in case you've got a time machine, yeah, it's worth doing for sure.

I'd say W10 is the best windows ever - people made a lot of noise about how it's invading privacy and flax, but it's not doing anything worse than android, ios, google, or a billion other services we sign up for without thinking, so that didn't bother me at all. There was also a lot of noise about it forcing upgrades on people, but I've never seen it proven by somebody technically competent, so I'm pretty sure that was just people's propensity to click buttons without reading, in concert with the less than transparent design of the GWX popup.

After around 2 years of daily use, (upgraded one PC the day preview went live, and am currently running it on 3, and have upgraded over 10) it's easily my favorite windows, especially now with the Anniversary update. Windows finally having proper multi desktop support, better window management, and a dark theme is wonderful. Plus it's actually a lot faster than windows 7 was - not so much faster than windows 8 since much of the low level work for 10 was already in 8, but hey - way less waiting, especially on lesser machines, not that I use those. I am also very interested to see how UWP stuff turns out - Tim Sweeney can scream and whine all he wants, but the reality is, UWP is far more advanced and modern than Win32, and it's mostly ready for prime time. I also actually really like the store - I switch computers with some regularity, especially on laptops, so it's really nice to be able to just log in to my microsoft account and have it mostly install and set up my computer the way I want it.

Though specific OS choice matters less than ever, and the traditional PC is less relevant than ever, W10 is absolutely excellent as a desktop OS for this era. Pretty good on touch too, though 8.1 was better there, and they seriously need to bring back some of the edge swipe gestures and stuff for surface and other tablets and flax. W10 mobile is a bit flax and broken still though, and there's no phones out for all intents and purposes, so that sucks.

6. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

No. #dealWithIt

7. J.D

J.D No Stranger To Love