Is this forum still active?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris776x, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Chris776x

Chris776x Newb

Last year I tried to make a Playstation 2 portable which would've worked exactly how I wanted it with the exception of it needed 3 power sources, one of which was the motherboard connected to a wall outlet... I used a basic TFT screen from eBay thats supposed to work at anything from 3-24v or something like that, the speakers were from a radio they need 9v though a dying 9v battery that was giving just under 8v was working well enough for me and the motherboard itself. I can get everything up and running separately though when it comes to uniting everything thats were I tend to have problems..

Though what do you use to power your portables?

And on another note would it be at all practical to desolder or just remove a USB 1.0 port and replace it with a 2.0?

2. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

This would do literally nothing. The ports are mechanically identical. It would be extremely difficult to upgrade the PS2 to use USB 2.0.

As far as power, the radio likely uses a 7805 regulator. Look near the power input for something like this
    [​IMG]
    If it has that, and it says 7805 on it, you could remove this part and replace what would be the rightmost pin in that picture with a 5v input instead. You may be able to just run a wire to the PS2's onboard regulator to get 5v for your screen and speakers, but that could also put too much strain on it. I'm not sure what it's rated for.
    Here's a little bit of info on the power requirements for the PS2, but know that this is only one iteration of it, and your device may vary.
    http://forums.modretro.com/index.ph...xx-motherboard-mod-run-it-as-low-as-6v.11866/