Is there a good flat analog stick replacement for the PS3?

I'm going to rip apart a PS3 controller for something not a PS3, and need flat, 3DS/PSP style joysticks. What thing should I buy, and how do I connect it? One thing that may be a problem is that I still need the clicking L3/R3 function.

Re: Is there a good flat analog stick replacement for the PS

Sorry, the only slider joystick I can even find are from a PSP or 3DS. PSP ones are kind of bad, 3DS sticks are great... but both a little impossible to connect to a controller retaining full range and no crawling. You could glue the bottom of either joystick onto a tact switch, but it would wobble around and rotate freely. Perhaps use two switches, one on either side, so that you could press left or right on the flat joystick.

I don't think you can wire PSP or 3DS sticks directly in as a replacement to PS3 sticks.

I think I was told by RDC that PS3 sticks don't use the same layout as most sticks. They don't use a common ground. So you can't wire in just any 10k stick or slider.

At least I think that's what he said.

The older, and now the newer style (from the Asuka version up) PS3 sticks are a 10k type, it's only those with the 4 leads that are a Hall Sensor type that can't easily be messed with. They can be used in place of the 3 leg 10k style if you want to add in an Op-Amp between them, and they can be swapped out for the 3 leg style or Sliders if you just bypass that op-amp mess and go right to the MCU.

About the smallest stick with a button is going to be the PS3 style ones. As far as Sliders go, you could mount some SMT style tact switch under one, but that will mean mounting the slider in some sort of channel so it can move up/down. It may not be as accurate when the slider is moved to the limits and pressed, as it will be off center of the switch then, but it's doable with a bit of work.

Back