Iclassic portable nintendo 64 (including worklog)

mesojdm

I posted the idea of taking this portable 64 to production a while back when it was unfinished and got severely scrutinized by the majority of modders on this forum . I'm still going through with it despite being told it was impossible to do for the price range I wanted to make it at. Whether it fails or succeeds, It was a fun experience making my first portable 64.
I just finished the final paint on one of the two portables and wanted to show it as it would be what I will be offering as a production model.
I am going to be painting the other case pearl white which I will post here soon.
Also details on the project.

over 250 hours of work between both cases
ZERO cutting of the 64 board or controller
about 15 solder points needed on this project
7in 4::3: LCD
2.5 hour battery life(hopefully more soon)
dimensions(10.5 X 6 x 1.5-2)
color 350z sunset orange (leftover from a former project car)
2nd controller port for mutiplayer function
The most comfortable portable console I have used
Video out(installing soon)

I will post a hands on video soon thanks everyone.

QLbN9.jpg

Looks good, I was actually just wondering what happened with this, and ended up finding a Datsun you were working on instead.

It would be great if you would go in on the molds when you do it in plastic, and make sure that gap between the halves no there.

ttsgeb said:
Looks good, I was actually just wondering what happened with this, and ended up finding a Datsun you were working on instead.

It would be great if you would go in on the molds when you do it in plastic, and make sure that gap between the halves no there.

Thanks for the compliments!
I haven't installed a clip on the front to pull it together, but that will fix it and yea my Datsun was a project I completed a while ago, turbo mag did a spread on it if your interested http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/t ... ewall.html

Looking pretty nice, especially for a first portable.

Glad to see you're moving forward with this.

Thanks zero! Just nice to see support on this project after the first attempt crashed and burned lol.
But thank yea thanks for the kind words!

When you're not playing games on this system it doubles as a serving tray for your food!

foodtray.jpg

mmmmmmm just like how mom used to make it!

This's what the design makes me think of

handlebars.jpg

seriously though it looks fine. I like the paint colour.

I think this is a really good and very cool portable. I just think the concept of making it into a kit would inefficient. But as portables, these things are awesome.

The screen looks nice, but now there's a glaring lack of RGB

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1228

IDK much about RGB on the N64, but if your screen supports it, you might as well show it as an option for the "more advanced" solder nuubs.

Sure, it has its shortcomings, but it's pretty. The big-ass screen is a plus too.

I like how the screen take's up most the main face of the case, instead of a smaller screen with alot of unused border going to the edges, example: most of the none compact sized portable's.

It's still a good portable, that anyone would of liked before cutting down pcb's to make them pocket sized came along.

If your still planning on doing it as a product, you should make a 2nd line of smaller n64p that's require's some motherboard cutting, and cart slot relocation for the streamline masses aswell.

Just make sure to give credit where it's do for who's ever idea's you used in the assembly guide. (that might please some of these guy's)

A good looking portable, especially considering the unmodified N64 board. I still don't see these selling as a kit, I think you would be much better off spending 30 extra minutes to put the board in and sell them as complete portables.

βeta said:
This is stupid and huge. The start button is inconvenient. There are holes on the back where screws used to go, but now they are just half filled with crap. That screen is most of the size of my laptop. It's all in all, way bigger that it needs to be, and poorly designed. I hate it.

Please wait until i post a video of it because it is really not that big, the flanks give it a false sense of being bigger than it actually is.

the "button you rarely ever press on occasion" is inconvenient, - there FTFY
And its really not, without taking my hand off the flanks I can still reach it, shows you how the flanks make the case look a lot bigger.

The holes on the back are made from scratch, specially designed insets that stainless steel Alen heads fit into to bolt the two halves together, very hard to do by hand and I can assure you there is no crap in there at the moment, only polished aluminum Alen head screws that screw into female threads on the opposite case, providing both support and the ability to assemble and disassemble quickly

"That screen is most of the size of my laptop." - not sure if troll at this point.

"It's all in all, way bigger that it needs to be" - if you can make a case to fit an uncut 64 board and controller and have working controls that are ergonomically placed in less than 10.5in of length I will happily agree with you.

As for poorly designed, I think you mean, a design you are are not comfortable with.

between this post and the incredible photoshop work of Drakon(LOL), I have a feeling that anything on this forum that challenges the status quo will be shot down to Heck just because it is not what you personally want to see. For that I can only say haters gonna hate

βeta said:
This is stupid and huge. The start button is inconvenient. There are holes on the back where screws used to go, but now they are just half filled with crap. That screen is most of the size of my laptop. It's all in all, way bigger that it needs to be, and poorly designed. I hate it.

Oh come on it's not that unlikable! I like the huge screen I think the more space the screen takes up the better!

Also I don't have photoshot I used nothing but microsoft paint! ;)

Why so much negativity? This is a great portable especially for a first. Everyone has a starting point and this is yours, good job. I've yet to start but I will eventually.....

Its utterly gorgeous. The build quality is fantastic. That is really all I can say for it though. These days, what with n64p's that can fit in a pocket going for $400, I really cant see this selling well. I guess I can understand the idea behind effortless modding, but it seems like anybody willing to pick up a soldering iron would be willing to go 'all out' and build a unique one from scratch. Strikes me as utterly silly to leave out the Dpad. More so than anything though, its obvious to me that you are a very talented person with access to serious tools and money. And as such, it makes me want to see you do something actually impressive, rather than a very clean, beautiful brick of n64 that is all but guaranteed to sell lamely, if at all. Heck, if you built an RCP wired micro one with this quality, you would be listed among the likes of Ashen, Zenloc and Hail, who have an incredible talent for beauty.

When its all said and done, portable kits don't sell (see Intoplay kits). Therefore I weep to see you using your skills on these and not something far more badass, which I have no doubt you are capable of.

I like it. I think it's *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing sexy. Especially for a first time effort.

My first thought was, great paint job! It's a lil bit of a bummer without a d-pad, if you don't use it, who cares! Great job dude, sorry for the negativity that's being sent your way.

Back