How to wire up a 3DS analog stick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mymixed, Aug 30, 2011.

1. mymixed

mymixed Well-Known Member

If you want to use a 3DS analog stick on your portable, due to size or comfort, this is the diagram for you.

I strongly suggest you also take a look at SonyQrio's guide (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8250). I just thought that the N64 thread deserved its own 3DS analog stick thread. :D

With the help of SonyQrio, I have successfully wired up the 3DS analog stick to the N64! This mod also works for GC.

To get to the contacts as shown below, pry up the plastic above the ribbon cable until it cracks. You can use a screw driver to pry it up if you need to. Once you have done this, simply bend it back and forth until you can pull it right off. Next, pull back the ribbon cable until it comes off. You can now successfully solder to the pins!

[​IMG]

Now, here's the schematic for the stick itself:

[​IMG]

Thank you Sony for theorizing the putting of a 1K resistor between the X and the Y axis. It eliminates the conflict that caused the inverted axis problem.

Once you have wired it up, It should look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully it looks less beta than mine :D. I'll have a video soon. In the mean time, wire up those 3DS analogs!

- mymixed

2. SonyQrio

SonyQrio Frequent Poster

Why did you make a new thread?

3. ShockSlayer

ShockSlayer Probably SS

Because it applies to the N64 too?

Not erryone browses the GC section.

SS

4. Tchay

Tchay Frequent Poster

I'd say nobody does these days...

5. SonyQrio

SonyQrio Frequent Poster

:(

6. mymixed

mymixed Well-Known Member

Exactly.

7. SonyQrio

SonyQrio Frequent Poster

Spreading my post from the GC section:

8. BoFoSho

BoFoSho Frequent Poster

9. FaceB

FaceB Newb

How hard would this be to do in reverse? As in wire the GC analog stick to replace a 2ds analog stick?

10. Prog

Prog Not a Memeā„¢ Staff Member

Wire the single +5V terminal to the Gamecube's dual 5V inputs and single GND to the dual GND. X to X and Y to Y, and pray the impedance works with the 3DS hardware.

11. Nekroblood

Nekroblood Member

Is there any updates to installing a 3ds slider as opposed to the analog stick?