How to build a portable Gamecube?

Renji

Newb
Hello,

i just watched a Gamecube Portable Vid on youtube and read the url.
now i am here :)

So, could anyone give me a tutorial on building this nice thing?

How to start?
I've got a Gamecube.
But, where can i get the Display?
How to build the case?

How much money do I have to spent for the whole project?
Is there a detailed tutorial on bulding a gcp?
What machines do I need?

Thanks guys :)

First off, assuming you have no modding experience, this will be impossible for you. Build something simpler like an NOAC portable.

Look around the forums, I'm sure you'll find the information you need. Welcome to the forums, btw.

Renji said:
Hello,

i just watched a Gamecube Portable Vid on youtube and read the url.
now i am here :)

So, could anyone give me a tutorial on building this nice thing?
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=26398&start=0

How to start?
Start reading stickies and work logs on here and on forums.benheck.com
I've got a Gamecube.
But, where can i get the Display?
Ebay. PSone and zenith screens are the most common.
How to build the case?
Vacuum-forming, frankencasing, polycase, or building from scratch. Read up on work logs for info on this.

How much money do I have to spent for the whole project?
Depending on what kind of quality you want yours to be, and what tools you own, this can vary greatly.
Is there a detailed tutorial on bulding a gcp?
See my first response.
What machines do I need?
The only machine you may need will be a CNC machine, or laser cutter. You don't need to do this unless you want your case completely custom-made. Be aware that this can be somewhat complicated and cost a lot.
Thanks guys :)
You're welcome! :mrgreen: Welcome to the forums!

You don't need a CNC machine. You need a dremel, a drill, and assorted files and sand paper. The tools that are most important to these projects are knowledge and time. Arm yourself with these, and all obstacles will fall before you.

J.D said:
First off, assuming you have no modding experience, this will be impossible for you. Build something simpler like an NOAC portable.

Look around the forums, I'm sure you'll find the information you need. Welcome to the forums, btw.

Wrong. A beginner can start off with a GCp and build it just fine. It's advised to start off with something simpler, but it's not a requirement. Harshboy's first portable was a GC.

snowpenguin said:
Wrong. A beginner can start off with a GCp and build it just fine. It's advised to start off with something simpler, but it's not a requirement. Harshboy's first portable was a GC.

Agreed. If you're a competent person, with the ability to read/study/ash intelligent questions, and have incredible patience. You could build a Xbox360 laptop.

But with no experience I would suggest trying something easier and then jumping in to a GCP.

Thank you guys :)

I dont want to start directly with my work. I am now gathering all the materials, which I need.

I ordered 1 Zenith 5" LCD Display and I am about to order that Datamax Kid's Delight Screen.

You are right, if you say, that I should start with something simpler, but it can't be taht difficult if I am following a good tutorial.
And I am actually owning 1 Gamecube, so its the cheapest for me (I am from germany, so I have to import all the stuff) to start with the gcp.

thank you for the link, zeturi.

Renji said:
Thank you guys :)

I dont want to start directly with my work. I am now gathering all the materials, which I need.

I ordered 1 Zenith 5" LCD Display and I am about to order that Datamax Kid's Delight Screen.You are right, if you say, that I should start with something simpler, but it can't be taht difficult if I am following a good tutorial.
And I am actually owning 1 Gamecube, so its the cheapest for me (I am from germany, so I have to import all the stuff) to start with the gcp.

thank you for the link, zeturi.

i bet it was hailrazers :awesome:

You could build a GCp for your first portable (one guy even did a 360 laptop first), but it's better to do something simpler, to gain experience. That said, if you have experience in modding and electronics in general, it shouldn't be that hard. It's not impossible or even stupid, just a little bit inadvisable.

Yeah. You seem pretty determined on building a GCp first, but considering you seem to have no idea how to mod at all, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY recommend starting with a NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, or something. Because at your [apparent] skill level, you're going to be... spending tons of dollars and getting very pissed off, to say the least.

Because at your [apparent] skill level, you're going to be... spending tons of dollars and getting very pissed off, to say the least.
That.

My first portable was a GCP. I was NOOB.

I didn't even know the difference between series and parallel.

I still don't.

pLover said:
Yeah. You seem pretty determined on building a GCp first.

Well, I was determined on making an Xbox 360 laptop first, but now im starting with an SNES, my advice is the same, start low my friend, these things get expensive.

J.D said:

HEY!
I started as a noob and i made one !

Everyone can make one.

Back