How to: Backlight a Game Boy Pocket!

Ahh very awesome tutorial.
But could anyone give me a more in depth explanation on the dissembly of the DS screen?
Thanks in advance ::3:

Use a knife or a small flathead screwdriver, and wedge it between the top and bottom metal frames, and slowly work your way around till the metal frame comes off. From there, it will just fall apart. :p

app13229531259131944.jpg

http://tweetphoto.com/yra5adtk

Yaaay! I managed to do it without *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing up a screen! Bad iPhone pics ahoy!

app13229531259132169.jpg

http://tweetphoto.com/yra5abru

The only problem is that the plastic light bar still pokes out slightly, making the right side slightly dark. I can cope.

How exactly does one go about trimming the assembly in an efficient manner? When I did it, I took one piece at a time and trimmed every tiny little piece individually, which led to a few possibly being out of place. Also, when I put everything back together, I had a hard time getting a flat, even dispersion of light. I can't take any pictures right now because my Gameboy is in a state of nonworking (probably due to a lead missing from the main IC thing, and other mods performed on the Gameboy).

By the way, lightguard, is there any particular reason you chose to put the strip in the right side? Would you recommend it being there instead of at the top?

I dunno if abeden still needed details on disassembling the LCD, or if anyone else needs this...but here.
2whktnb.jpg

2nrgigi.jpg

2dayg60.jpg

14tm06q.jpg

I hope this helps people who need it.

Sorry for the double post, those pictures are huge, I was having a hard time resizing them, (noobish I know) if someone wants to resize them so they aren't so....obnoxious, that'd be cool.

The thing you think is a polarizer is a vital part of the backlight, and it is not a polarizer - it is in fact the growth foil. Good guide, but you must be sure to take out those layers and keep them in the correct order!

If you would find it useful, Bibin you can use the pictures in your tutorial. I was bored and decided to help out because I love your tutorials.

It helps a lot, yes. If you don't have every layer, in the right order, it won't be anywhere near as good.

That said, after a lot of kerfuffling around, (i managed to destroy the first light strip by damaging the solder point) my backlight still isn't great - you can see from the first picture I put up, it's not a flat, clean light, and is splotchy. Is this because the mylar layer is damaged?

I'm not going to open this one, though. Last time I did that, I damaged yet another screen :p

NEXT TIME, GADGET.

I haven't installed the led's yet, I was testing the layers and when I turned the gameboy on, even when I adjust the contrast, the screen is totally black. Like the pixels are all black. I noticed some dead lines down the middle too, but I'm not worried about that. Is the black just because the LED's aren't in? Or are the layers in the wrong order? Or did I screw something up.

Check the solder points down the bottom part of the screen - you've probably broken a few. As far as I know, it can't be fixed. Someone feel free to prove me wrong.

I know this may be super bumping, but I'm having trouble finding a 5.2K ohm resistor. Any suggestions where to get them?

The value does not need to be exact, you can get away with a LOT less. I used a 40ohm, and it worked fine.

neonix said:
I know this may be super bumping, but I'm having trouble finding a 5.2K ohm resistor. Any suggestions where to get them?
I think I connected several and it was a much higher resistance.
I prefer the dimmer light anyway.

Back