How to: Backlight a Game Boy Pocket!

Re: LightBoy Pocket V2

ShockSlayer said:
By any chance did you get this unit from palmertech? I think I've seen it before! :p

SS

No, but Palmer has a clear one too.

Eurddrue, it depends. If your SP has two levels, on and off, for the backlight, then no. If your SP is the new version with multiple levels, then yes that will work.

Bibin said:
ShockSlayer said:
By any chance did you get this unit from palmertech? I think I've seen it before! :p

SS

No, but PalmerTech has a clear one too.

Eurddrue, it depends. If your SP has two levels, on and off, for the backlight, then no. If your SP is the new version with multiple levels, then yes that will work.
Sweet! And it runs off of 3.3v? When I tried that on it, it didn't work. And I understood enough to know a frontlight from a backlight :p

Basement_Modder said:
PalmerTech said:
The backlit one needs 12-18v.

I can't believe I'm saying this to PalmerTech but...

THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!!! :eek:
Nope, that's right.

You're such a silly.

But no, really, Palmer's right.
One in the PSP requires over 20 ;)

Basement_Modder said:
PalmerTech said:
The backlit one needs 12-18v.

I can't believe I'm saying this to palmer but...

THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!!! :eek:

4 ~3V LEDs in series makes total sense. He's right. Same with the light I use, which is why it worked at all.

Basement_Modder said:
How do you get that high of voltage in a gameboy? :neutral2:

Can you read? I pointed out in the article that there is an 18V unregulated line. This is intended to drive the LCD. The small board in the lower left converts 3V into 5V and 18V.

Bibin said:
Basement_Modder said:

Can you read? I pointed out in the article that there is an 18V unregulated line. This is intended to drive the LCD. The small board in the lower left converts 3V into 5V and 18V.

D'oh. My apologies. Feel free to delete that post, if you want.

Basement_Modder said:
Bibin said:
Basement_Modder said:

D'oh. My apologies. Feel free to delete that post, if you want.

Nope, passing on that.

The DS lite one, top or bottom screen.

It will work on a DMG, yes, but you'll need to pull the voltage from somewhere else, but the board is labeled with voltages.

eurddrue said:
Bibin said:
eurddrue said:
dimefan90 said:
which replacement ds screen do i get from DX

also will this work on a DMG
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3161

Yeah, it will work on a DMG, but you'll have to take your voltage from the LED.

No, never do that! You don't need to take the LED out, leave it in! There are plenty of points you can do that aren't the stupid LED.
:o but...but...that's what you told me to do!

Not from the LED! Just the areas around the LED! Of course, you need to pull the 6V from before the resistor, or the ~3.6V after the resistor.

Yay! I got this working using the Dealextreme DS lite replacement screens; you need to trim the Dang thing down quite a bit, but it works great, apart from some dimness around where the LEDs project out.

I found that to solve the dimness issue, just move the backlight as far up as you can so the LEDs have more room to disperse.

Back