How to: Backlight a Game Boy Pocket!

Re: LightBoy Pocket V2

That is one sexy guide. Makes me want to go out and buy a gameboy again.

Out of curiosity, how much are the clear-cased ones? They look good.

I got mine for 13 dollars shipped, never used! I have another I will be doing this to soon. It all depends on what auctions pop up at the right times.

Should all of the materials I need be in a 17" monitor? Or should I take apart one of my DS replacement screens? Oh yeah, I'll need a new gameboy pocket too :lol: Silly things put aside, this is the guide that we've all been waiting for!

eurddrue said:
Should all of the materials I need be in a 17" monitor? Or should I take apart one of my DS replacement screens? Oh yeah, I'll need a new gameboy pocket too :lol: Silly things put aside, this is the guide that we've all been waiting for!
No, do not use a desktop monitor. The actual distribution panel is too thick and won't distribute well with small volumes of light. Those are made for tubes too, an LED won't distribute well. Just use your DS screens, just take out the LCD and cut away at the back panel until it fits.

Fantastic. We need more images that concern the actual backlight, perhaps I will make a guide called "Lighting methods" that simply covers how to do part 2, but with EL, panels from a DS, and custom made backlights.

Once again, bravo!

I've just done an update, it's now basically 150% the brightness it was before as I found the correct resistor to use, but the issue is that I can't figure out which end of the resistor is the front or back - it's either a 5.2KΩ or a 1.2KΩ resistor (•• or ••)

I was about to say use a multimeter. I never bothered to learn colour codes.

Alright, so now I'm working on an internal Li-On rechargable battery instead of AAA's, as while the playtime isn't short or anything I am sick of going out and buying things to run my game boys, so I made this GBP clear-fronted and black-backed so I don't have to ruin any clear shells.

bacteria said:
Bibin said:
I've just done an update, it's now basically 150% the brightness it was before as I found the correct resistor to use, but the issue is that I can't figure out which end of the resistor is the front or back - it's either a 5.2KΩ or a 1.2KΩ resistor (•• or ••)
So does it matter which way around a resistor is put, out of interest?

Luckily, it doesn't. I'd die if it did!

Yeah, resistors have no polarity anyway :lol: And, I need to know what parts I need out of my screen, I'm a bit uneducated about the whole backlights and stuff :oops:

eurddrue said:
Yeah, resistors have no polarity anyway :lol: And, I need to know what parts I need out of my screen, I'm a bit uneducated about the whole backlights and stuff :oops:

What screen are you using? Once I get my hands on another cracked DS lite LCD or something I'll be doing it on video.

Bibin said:
eurddrue said:

What screen are you using? Once I get my hands on another cracked DS lite LCD or something I'll be doing it on video.
DS lite bottom screen replacement off of DX. It hasn't been out of its package yet, as I accidentally ordered two.

eurddrue said:
Bibin said:
eurddrue said:

DS lite bottom screen replacement off of DX. It hasn't been out of its package yet, as I accidentally ordered two.

Take it apart, and gently remove the metal border on the front. There should be tabs along the sides. Then, do the same with the bottom. The very frontmost part, the actual LCD, should be removed and saved or discarded. There is a small ribbon from the back of the backlight to the LCD itself, desolder that. Then, you have a backlight.

Bibin said:
eurddrue said:
Bibin said:
eurddrue said:

Take it apart, and gently remove the metal border on the front. There should be tabs along the sides. Then, do the same with the bottom. The very frontmost part, the actual LCD, should be removed and saved or discarded. There is a small ribbon from the back of the backlight to the LCD itself, desolder that. Then, you have a backlight.
Ok, I haven't opened mine up yet, but I've opened plenty of SP screens. Will it have 4 SMT LEDs on it?

Back