Help with ps3 analog pinout

So I'm planning on making a pocket ps3 controller and want to use 3ds sliders but the ps3 remote has 4 pins for each pot opposed to 3 and from what I can tell with my multimeter is that two are data lines and the other two being v+ and gnd how would I go about making the two data into one?

I don't know if any of what I said made any sense

Interesting idea, if they work the same as a GC controller (by measuring voltage difference) then you could use the same circuit for it. However, if it actually reads the resistance then you might need to use a ATmega/ATtiny to translate the signals.

thanks for the idea/help

so i guess its a whole different thing called a hall sensor
what i have noticed is that when one pole is all the way up the other pole reads as all the way down
so they read the same when not in use and opposite when in use
ill muck around tomorrow with a regular old 3 legged pot on the mobo to see what it does

The best thing you could do would be to get you either one of the older version Six-Axis PS3 controllers, before Rumble, as it uses the Potentiometer style Sticks, or, if you're wanting to have that Rumble feature, get one of the newest versions (the Asuka or VX6) as they have gone back to the POT style Sticks.

If you're stuck with using one of the board versions with the Hall Sensors, you can try bypassing the converter IC and just go straight to the MCU with you 3DS Slider X and Y lines. I haven't tried this personally, but the theory is sound.

On the versions of the PS3 controllers that use the Hall Sensors, the MCU didn't change at all in how it works from any other version, they just went thru a phase of making the Sticks more complicated for whatever reason. So instead of POT style Stick to MCU, it goes Hall Sensor style Stick to converter IC, to MCU.

The MCU on the controller board still needs a voltage swing, like the 3DS can provide, so there's no real reason you shouldn't be able to just wire them up and use them that way after the converter IC.

You didn't specify what version of controller you're working with there, but there should be 4 TP spots after the converter IC (or ICs depending on your board version) where you can wire up the X/Y of the 3DS Slider to.

They're TP19, 20, 21 and 22 on most board versions, but again this depends on the version you have there and needs to be checked first.

Use the 2.8v source for the VCC of the Slider, same one that powers the Hall Sensors.

Back