Help me color this 3D Printed NES portable, Modretro

Discussion in 'NES' started by wallydawg, Aug 17, 2014.

1. wallydawg

wallydawg Active Member

So I bought a 3D Printer a few months ago and it's pretty Dang awesome. I have spent the summer so far just messing around with random test prints, fixing things around my house/at work, and of course printing Pokemon and parts off Thingiverse, all while designing and tweaking a case for an NESp. After some basic maintenance and tweaks I'm finally ready to use the printer for it's intended purchase to make case parts and accessories for some portables. Before we get into all that though, here's the specifications on what I'm planning to build.

Specs:
    -100% 3D Printed ABS Plastic Case
    -120mm W x 150mm H
    -22mm Thickness, not including the NES cart port extension of about the same thickness so carts will sit flush against the back of the portable
    -Super Joy III NOAC Internals
    -3.5" Screen
    -Internal Game Genie, probably
    -Low mAh on the SJIII & Screen so most likely powered by 4 AA's

Due to the maxiumum printing volume of 120mm³ on my printer, the case has been designed to be printed into 29 different sections and assembled afterwards. Here is an exploded assembly picture to show an example of all the parts and how they fit together.

Since all the parts are to be printed separately I might as well add in some color. Everyone always goes with Black/Red on NESp's so I'm in the market for something a little different, but I'm not the best at Color Theory and Selection so I'm looking for a bit of help. If anyone has any suggestions on a color scheme for this portable, or any other design suggestions before I start printing they would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a blank template drawing of my portable case design to apply colors to. I saved it as a low color png so dropfilling in paint won't be perfect, but will suffice. I also have a psd that I can post with all the different case parts on separate layers for ease of use if needed.
    [​IMG]

The filaments that I have on hand are Black, White, Red, Blue, Orange, Green, and can produce Gray by coloring the filament pre-extrusion with a black sharpie. Other possible colors are whatever Shaxon branded filament Frys carries (not including their yellow since it looks like snot), but I'd prefer to use colors that I already own. You can just C&P this on the design for easy color eyedropping.
    [​IMG]

If anyone comes up with a color scheme I like I'll probably toss you a couple bucks on paypal, send you a random NES or Dreamcast game, or offer up a smaller sized print of something that you want made (like a keychain or a small case part like L&R buttons or something)

I'm currently working on putting an older android phone inside my 3D printer to record prints, so I'm planning on streaming the creation of the case in a couple of weeks.

2. spazmoid

spazmoid Member

I' proberbly go with white and grey to stick with the nes colour sceme

3. ukameso

ukameso Newb

White and grey would like fine. However, I think black with a bit of red would be nice looking, too. Actually, pretty much any white, grey, or black, with highlights of another colour would look nice.

4. ttsgeb

ttsgeb Breaker of Everything Staff Member

[​IMG]
    /thought

5. wallydawg

wallydawg Active Member

Maybe, if I end up getting some glow in the dark green filament

6. spazmoid

spazmoid Member

hi i know i'm kind of necroing (is that a word? :neutral2: ) but was just wondering if you could share the stl for that case as i would love to make one. :)
    i understand if not but that is a case of far higher quality than i could make myself.

7. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

Royal blue and sliver always look really nice together.

8. wallydawg

wallydawg Active Member

I was hoping for navy/silver, but a lot of "navy" colored filament that I've seen online is lighter than the regular blue that I currently have for some reason (would be the same for royal). Since I started this thread though, I've acquired more colors so I'm just going to the standard NES color scheme, white/light grey front, silver/dark grey back, and black controller ridge area.

However, this project is currently on hiatus as when I designed the sections to be printed in parts I really didn't design anything to attach the pieces together (not wanting at all to rewire a 60-72 conversion isn't helping either). While I redesign some parts I'm making a GOAC GN-Twin Nomad Jr. 3D printed portable in the meantime.