Has anyone considered making a Nvidia Shield portable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaFletch01, Jun 3, 2015.

1. DaFletch01

DaFletch01 Member

I heard of the shield a couple years ago when they released their first model but I thought nothing of it as far as portables go because it didn't really have that much functionality for what is was worth. It was basically just a glorified streaming box with some android games attached to it.

But now with the new shield that came out not too long ago, I think the situation has changed a bit. Basically, the console has the capability to play 7th gen games but with much better frame rate and clarity than the ps3 or 360 could ever hope to have.

Lastly as far as portablizing goes, it looks to have a lot less power consumption and temp management needed than the 7th gen consoles. And it looks like it might just be possible to make it into a true portable as opposed to a laptop.

This is a video of an unboxing done on the shield to give you an idea of its size and its other components. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvMnVqdHjVo

Please reply with your opinion of this being used as a portable. I would really like to know if anyone thinks this is worthy of a portable build or if I should harshly punish myself for ever thinking this was a good idea! :mrgreen:

2. spazmoid

spazmoid Member

well the power supply of it is capable of up-to 40W which is similar to the ps2 slim but apparently has an avg draw of only 5-10W which is comparable with the GameCube so portablization is very possible however i don't see the point as a some point there will be a tablet released that will have a tegra x1 in it which will have access to all those 7th gen games at which point the shield portable just isn't cost effective.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Well-Known Member

Would you use it/is there someone that will pay you money for it? The Shield is really just a super powerful Android system when you get down to it. In my opinion, the only advantage a Shieldp would have over a powerful Android tablet are the Shield exclusive games like Half Life 2, but it looks like its possible to get those running on other Android devices with some work.

4. bentomo

bentomo Frequent Poster

I was actually looking into this just last week and you'd be better off waiting for a tegra x1 development board.

There's a K1 version that's cheaper than the actual tablet, but if your spending that money on an extra screen the real reason is the flexibility of a dev board.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1

But as it was mentioned earlier there should be an x1 tablet coming soon.

Another "but' though is that dolphin for android is still in its early development, sure you can play smash bros and mario sunshine but you're not going to be able to run other games such as RE4 at playable speeds.

5. legofan623

legofan623 Well-Known Member

Holy crap I had no idea they made those... What OS's can they run?