Hailrazer's PS2 79xxx Motherboard Mod -- Run it as low as 6V

hailrazer

Frequent Poster
The PS2 79xxx series of motherboards is the smallest they made. It also happens to be the only one that can run at 7.4v

With no mods whatsoever it will run as low as 7.1v when using the disc drive. Without the disc drive using Free McBoot and a Usb thumbdrive to play games it will go down around 5.7v.

But that means that when using a disc drive and 7.4v batteries , it will stop working before the batteries are half dead.

But no more. No you can run the PS2 79xxx series motherboards as low as 6v.

Here's what you will need to do.

First you will need a good 5v switching regulator. A 300mA or higher regulator is all that is needed.
You need to make sure it is outputting 5v or very close to that. Anything higher or lower makes the disc drive act funny and not work.

Now here's what you will be doing.
We will be working with the regulator on the PS2 motherboard circled in red in the pic below ;

ps279xxx1.JPG

Connect the 5v regulator output to the right leg of the regulator as shown in red in the pic below ;
Also you will want to cut or lift the left leg of the regulator as shown in yellow in the pic below:

ps279xxx2.JPG

Now hook up power to the PS2 as you normally would , but feel free to use as low as 6v to power it.

Re: Hailrazer's PS2 79xxx Motherboard Mod -- Run it as low a

Sweet! Thanks a lot Hail, I've been working on my PS2p for a little bit, and this will allow me to make some more room in my case :D

Wouldn't a non-switching LDO regulator work just as well? Perhaps even one in the same package?

XCVG said:
Wouldn't a non-switching LDO regulator work just as well? Perhaps even one in the same package?

Most non switching regulators require the input voltage to be 2v over the output voltage. Hence the reason the onboard regulators stop working at 7.1v.

Also non switching get hot and usually require heatsinks.

So that is why I suggest switching regulators.

300mA is not that much, most linears can do that easily. And there are some linear regs with fairly low dropout voltages. With that being said, you're going to waste a bit of power as heat, so a switching regulator would save battery life. They're expensive, though, which is why I usually use 7805s even when I really shouldn't.

Here's a drop in replacement good down to 6.25V. http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... -ND/334840
This one costs more, but has an even lower dropout. http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... -ND/771602

Of course, if you can get some free samples, it's not a problem.

XCVG said:
300mA is not that much, most linears can do that easily. And there are some linear regs with fairly low dropout voltages. With that being said, you're going to waste a bit of power as heat, so a switching regulator would save battery life. They're expensive, though, which is why I usually use 7805s even when I really shouldn't.

Here's a drop in replacement good down to 6.25V. http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... -ND/334840
This one costs more, but has an even lower dropout. http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en ... -ND/771602

Of course, if you can get some free samples, it's not a problem.
Eh. $12.13 shipped isn't too bad. Or maybe I am just desensitized since I haven't bought anything below the five digit mark in months.

Yeah, I'm just a cheap mofo.

Nice job on this Hail. If I ever venture another PS2p I'll definitely give this a try.

I've been working on a PS2 slim portable, and although what I have is workable it would be nice to have a smaller PS2 circuit board. Running everything off a 7.4v battery would be more compact as well. Thank you my good sir :tophat:

Any tips on getting one with the 79xxx series board?

Yea they say 79xxx on the back :p

But if you open the disc tray you won't see any circuit board anywhere under the open spots on the DVD drive.

Also they are a lot lighter .

ok so I recived my regulator today
and I had a few question
1 where do I wire up the input of the switching regulator
where we cut the left leg?
ps279xxx2.JPG

2 can I use the original ps2 power cable/7.4 volts

You can basically just replace the regulator on the PS2 motherboard with the new one.

ok thanks
but can I use the original 8.4 power cable/ ac adapter?

6v really?
nice work...could run that off rechargeable AA batteries....
(not for long, but still)

now only to find an acceptable monitor able to run on 6v is the next step...

Back