HackerBilly is Alive and Building a Wii Laptop

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Hackerbilly, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Hackerbilly

Hackerbilly Well-Known Member

Hello once again Modretro :tophat:
    It sure has been quite a while since I have done anything in this community. It also has been a long time since I have done much modding in general but alas, when Gamestop throws away a perfectly good Wii and You find yourself with a new soldering Iron. Then I say, it is definitely time to make a Wii Laptop.
    So far I have rewired the Audio and Video wires and soldered on a Cheap little speakerboard that I bought a few years back which works perfectly fine. I found a sweet case at a thrift store which I can happily use to fit the Wii into.
    I will be sure to post pictures as soon as I can.
    Also, Btw. How many Wiis come without any residue or well the heatsink glue? The wii I opened up, literally contained none on the main chip or on the heat sink. The Wifi Module did but not the main chip.
    Also, Is it needed? I feel like it definitely is needed but this wii had appeared to never have been opened before. So I almost feel like it's lived it's entire life without it.

2. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

Pretty broad question. How much you need it depends on the revision. But I would recommend getting some thermal paste no matter the revision. without paste or pads, the heat sink does not make contact with the cpu/gpu. Every single Wii I have opened (dozens) had thermal pads on the CPU and GPU. Without proper heat dissipation, those things get very hot

3. Hackerbilly

True. I should get some thermal paste. I was just almost honestly surprised that it had none on it when I opened it up. It turned on and was able to play games for about an hour(It was just a test when I first got it before I knew the paste was gone) Maybe it was just somehow one that was missed and as for Revision. I have no clue which one this is.
    *Edit*
    Nevermind. I checked and found it. It's a RVL-CPU-30

4. Hackerbilly

5. watsug

watsug Well-Known Member

6. Hackerbilly

I know. The recording sucks but I only currently have an Iphone to record with and I fixed what problems it was having at least. So I'll do a better recording tonight and I actually will be using the Disk Drive. I've got like an extreme amount of games and no sd cards or hard drives big enough to use for back ups. So I'm just going to go with Disk Loads :lol:

7. Hackerbilly

I got alot of casework done over the past 2 days or well mostly just a disk drive slot cut and the controller port holes cut as well. Hopefully I can get some pictures of that. I still have abit to go. I'm hoping to have it all done here in like less than a month. I'm mostly just waiting for my screen to come in and then I'll have alot more done when that happens.

8. Hackerbilly

This kind of died guys. Sorry about that. I did a lot of work on it but like I ran out of Money and with College and everything. I've been on abit of a Budget and I've had other Projects that I've been doing.
    I got a Gameboy Horror coming along soon which I'll have some questions on but as for this. It's dead atm. I might bring it back later on in life when I really need to and have money to do it but for now. It shall rest in a box in my room until I have the money to make it better and finish it.