100_2606.jpg

100_2605.jpg

100_2604.jpg

100_2603.jpg

100_2602.jpg

100_2598.jpg

100_2597.jpg

100_2594.jpg

I've been working on this for a few weeks now. I'm still making my case, but it's coming along well. I'm going to paint the whole thing transparent purple, thus the name Grape64.

I'm using a 3.5 inch ebay screen and an audio amp i picked up from kohls for 10 bucks. The case is a Plano brand case meant for fishing lures. I had to rip out the padding on the inside and scrub the glue off for a few hours, and then cover it in goo gone to get rid of the residue. The D-pad, Start button, and volume controls are all on a single board that I cannibalized from one of these Tank-Assault games, which I also snagged at goodwill.

tc.jpg

The Nintendo logo on the screen bezel just by some random coincidence fits in there perfectly. I got that from one of the 10 broken GBA sps I keep lying around. I'm using the actual Z button section from two first party controllers as the R and Z/L buttons.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: Grape64 worklog

haven't gotten this excited since Sifufs sixty free lite-r.

So hot.

Thank you very much! I'm pretty pumped at this point. Right now I'm in the middle of wiring the expansion pack up, then I've got some board trimming to do, and then on to the cartridge slot wiring. :D

Dat's sum sexy layout. It looks quite beautiful, and I eagerly await its completion.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of purple, but this just seems to work.

This looks so sweet. Didn't even know they made transparent paint. Where did you get it? PLUS I want that bezel....Did you take it off of something?

ToastBucket said:
This looks so sweet. Didn't even know they made transparent paint. Where did you get it? PLUS I want that bezel....Did you take it off of something?

I used the original bezel that came with the screen.
404569737_o.jpg

I painted it purple wish spray paint. Krylon X-Metals to be exact. Since this paint is meant to be painted over metal to give it color, but retain it's metal sheen, The paint is actually transparent, meaning that you can also use it on plastic as I did on the controller box to achieve the same look as the transparent N64 controllers. This paint also comes in Red, Blue and a few other colors. If you can't find Krylon X-Metals in the color you want, Tamiya makes transparent spray paint in a wide array of colors as well.

You make me love purple. What are the dimensions of the case? Using the screen as scale, it looks pretty small!

zeturi said:
You make me love purple. What are the dimensions of the case? Using the screen as scale, it looks pretty small!

8"x5"x1"

I love this case so much. It's curved perfectly and doesn't have any dividers or anything ugly like most cases of its' kind do. It also comes in Small and Medium sizes. This one is considered Large.

Can't wait to see this project done, I wish I could find a case like that, you don't even have to use screws, you can just pop it open whenever you want and people will be like :eek:

i used tupperware and thats what i do to show people its insides ... i just pop of the back and they are like dang thats messy how does it even function? haha

Looks to be a slight chunk smaller than the ZN-40. One inch thin sounds awesome, plus, like others have mentioned, it's awesome to have that hinge.

Where did you buy that case?

EDIT: Never mind, these are pretty common on ebay. They even have one that is pretty much the same size as a ZN-40. It'd be nicer than having those Dang grooves on the top and bottom of the case. :evil2:

I know it's been a while since my last update, but I've made a lot of progress!

100_2848.jpg

100_2843.jpg

Batteries all wired up to my 3.3v regulator.

100_2850.jpg

Trimmed expansion pack, I am not relocating for this portable.

Test fitting before I install all the electronics...

100_2913.jpg

100_2912.jpg

100_2911.jpg

100_2914.jpg

I still need to decide on speaker placement and drill a few holes for those, also I need to decide on charge/play jack locations and drill holes for those as well. After all this is done I will need to start installing everything inside!

Back