Gman's Wii portable worklog

Discussion in 'Wii' started by gman, Feb 7, 2016.

1. The_Next_Guy

The_Next_Guy Active Member

Ehh, I can do that maybe...

2. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

[​IMG]

3. The_Next_Guy

The_Next_Guy Active Member

^
    That... That's great. But seriously, The will is much easier to get working in a portable. Smaller power consumption. Easier to load games/homebrew etc...

4. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Yes the Wii has more potential and it's nice that you dont need a modchip for it, but it's no walk in the park if you plan on trimming past the grounding. The Wii has more aspects of the motherboard that still need to be figured out, wifi, bluetooth, usb, etc.

Until we can figure out how to cut the motherboard in half, we are stuck with this awkward sized motherboard. The heatsink is on the very edge of the board which makes it a nightmare for designing a landscape portable since the heatsink will be where your hands are. This also makes it difficult for finding a decent battery to fit somewhere. The motherboard is perfectly shaped for portrait portables however but the motherboard is still quite long which will add thickness to the case since the batteries will have to be placed ontop of the motherboard. So I think I am going to continue my trimming quest before I design a case because I am just not feeling 100% on the case mockups I have drawn up with the placement of the heatsink and all. I've got the motherboard a lot smaller than I initially estimated for this project but there is still a long road ahead.

5. Noah

Noah Frequent Poster

As is sits right now AFAIK the daughterboard is still needed to load games. Might be wrong on the GC front but for Wii games I don't believe there is a solution as of yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, cause I'd love to know.

6. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Yes I'm pretty sure you still need something plugged in there for booting wii games, but you can just plug the disc drive motherboard in, you don't need the full disc drive. Still easier and cheaper than wiring a modchip in the gc. I hope to have a board where I have to wire the disc drive to the vias but still nice that you dont need to buy a modchip.

7. gman

gman Well-Known Member

This board was looking promising and I had the bluetooth module successfully relocated. I saw that pin 6 connects to some components and then ends up at the MX chip down line so I tried wiring it directly to the mx chip, and well it didn't like that and now the bluetooth module doesnt work when i changed it back to where it belongs. greatttt...

[​IMG]

8. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Not small enough
    [​IMG]

9. Shank

Shank Formerly Known As Dyxlesci

Have my babies

Keirstin Bloom likes this.
  10. Fluxedo

Fluxedo Well-Known Member

I'm in awe

10/10

Cut of the year

11. Benguen

Benguen Member

You are a beautiful human being

12. Ashen

Ashen GameCube Révolutionary

That's seriously fakn impressive right there.

13. RageCreation

RageCreation Member

14. gman

gman Well-Known Member

ya'll ain't seen nothing yet. The SUPEROMGWTF trim is coming!

15. E64

E64 Member

Wii OMGWTF CUT can't wait to see :awesome:

16. Diminuendo

Diminuendo Well-Known Member

Measurements? The Wii uses less power, doesn't require an expensive cable for component, and is cheaper to buy than the GC, if your cut is smaller, hacking the Wii to boot to Swiss might be a better option for a GC portable than actually using a GC.

17. gman

gman Well-Known Member

My smallest booting trim so far comes in at 150mm x 70mm at the tallest point. I am very close to being able to confidently cut the Wii down to 97mm x 65mm, smaller than the omgwtf GC. Unfortunately I have just killed the last of the live boards in my possession and won't be buying more until after spring break probably. However, there are still a lot of things left to work out. Relocating the Wifi module has been very finicky for me. Yes the Wii has far more potential, but the Wii requires a lot more inorder to get it to boot which is quite frustrating and purely experimental at this time.

18. LOCtronicz

LOCtronicz Formerly known as zenloc

Awesome stuff gman!!

Is it fully working? or just booting into homebrew channel?

Here a few tips which you probably already know :p :

You need to rewire the wificard otherwise homebrew channel won't seek for an sd card.
    Also to check that your cuts are indeed working and not just booting into a nice useless homebrew screen wire the sd card slot aswell. Only when you can boot into gamecube/wii games wil it actually be useful.

Rookie tips for a non rookie :lol: It's more to clarify for others that are interested in this progress.

I'm loving the small size of it though!!! Would be great to have full wii functionality from such a tiny board. Only downfall is the amount wiring needed to make it function properly.

Go for the smallest cut anyway just because you can :mrgreen:

19. gman

gman Well-Known Member

Still working out the relocations on other boards! That board only booted into homebrew channel which yes is useless for now, but a step in the right direction! I've successfully relocated the SD card and bluetooth to maximum points on other boards. Still working out the wifi relocation. Haven't started figuring out the controller pinout yet. Still a lot of work to be done but it's getting there. Btw, I trimmed off the DD connector and trimmed the board right up to the MX traces. Next step, relocate the MX chip and we've got ourselves a board smaller than the omgwtf gc.

Yes it's a lot more to rewire than the GC but in a way easier for me. I've found the wiikey very finicky at times to install.

20. LOCtronicz

LOCtronicz Formerly known as zenloc

Sounds good :mrgreen: Yeah for gamecube only the DD connector is not needed.

Looking forward t see you progress :tophat: