Gebby's Slim Xbox Laptop

At MRTN, I attempted to replace the drive spindle with one from a gamecube. It didn't go so well.

I broke my drive.
I now have 2 "broken" but matching drives coming in the mail to be parts donors, and Ashen is being his usual BAMF self and sending me more Gamecube spindles to work with. Hopefully I'll have my drive working soon.

I'm just going to wait around for those to get here, then once I get that built, I'm going to actually do the casework (considering this design is rather dependent on the drive working). While this is happening, I'm going to save up money to buy parts for my custom PSU, and hopefully I'll get to build that rather than using my ghetto-rig I got now.

If I'm lucky, all will go as planned. :D

It seems that right now, this laptop is just kinda falling into place; and it just needs me to point at where things should go.
Seeing the drive spin up and try to read a game was a HUGE motivator for me.

If you need any help with the PSU you know you can contact me. Loool.

I forgot to give you one of the regs I brought with me to MRTN. It was a 5V reg that had up to 6A out or something, you can always run two in parallel to get pretty much the amperage you need.

Yeah, it's the light from the screen.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up on the disk drive, just tempted to. After putting a bigger hdd in my softmod box, it will be hard to go back.

I'm really digging it. Going back to a stock box after using a soft modded one sounds like a horrible experience to me.

So, I decided to have a gander at my disk drive today. I think I may have found the problem.

I had attempted to peel the spindle's circuit board off of the metal back plate, it didn't work. Apparently, in the process I tore 4 traces; meaning the 1 trace I repaired because it was fubar on the other side of the board wasn't enough.

*sigh*

wp001629.jpg

Note the crack on the right side, right through the "n"

wp001632.jpg

And I repaired the traces. Continuity we tested, and it looked fine. Testing in the box soon.

Just tested things... Still doesn't work. :/

By the end of the day of looking at this off and on as a fixed a computer monitor, cooked Chili and Mac&Cheese from scratch, and had several unexpected visitors; I managed to get the drive motor spinning freely and at the right height again. That's about as far as this went. I'm proud of that much, though. You guys at MRTN know how much of a feat just that part was.

At this point, because of how it's behaving, I'm not sure if my motor is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up, or if it's the driver board; so if anyone has a Toshiba-Samsung SDG-605A laying around; let me know. I'd really like to get a hold of a few parts from it. If it's the actual driver board, I'd really enjoy not having to do this Dang motor mod again.

The iceberqs I bought from Sam and Zet, the taller ones are some random ass titan brand ones I found on Newegg.

I need to source a good few xbox drives for this thing. I fubar'd (not really, but close enough) my original optical drive, so now I kinda gotta start over on that front. :/

If anyone has a working xbox drive laying around, lemme know. I'm definitely interested.

I have a long weekend and a potential new drive. I should work on this more. You people need to yell at me about it more often.

Any new progress? I would love to see this finished one day.
How did it go with the "potential new drive"?

I'm fat and lazy, and other things are on the table right now. I do, however, now have 2 working drives to play with. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

Back