GameCube portable worklog

Re: GameCude portable worklog

I know but I did that 5 times and it was never perfect.
Thanks for the feedback bro.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted any updates. I've been really busy with school and robotics, and now that robotics is over and school is winding down I've started to work a little on my gamecube.

I wired my wiikey up today and can't figure out why it freezes at the "executing game 100% complete" screen.
This is where it freezes.
b92eb4edf81acdaa7798c45404f6c358.jpg

If anyone knows what I did wrong please let me know.

This is what my wiring looks like:
b186b8fbd9fb8f5421f5fd773562391c.jpg

Idk if my wires are to long or what the problem is, but the wiikey is flashed with Swiss autoboot and it works perfectly until I try to load a game.

I would check your ribbon cables. If it isn't seated perfectly it might cause that. Also check for problems on the cable itself or corrosion on the connector pads. Also, what is that clear epoxy you are using? Do you like it? I've been having issues with JB weld lately.

Bush said:
I would check your ribbon cables. If it isn't seated perfectly it might cause that. Also check for problems on the cable itself or corrosion on the connector pads. Also, what is that clear epoxy you are using? Do you like it? I've been having issues with JB weld lately

I checked and rechecked the ribbon cables and I still get the same result. The epoxy I use is called plastic weld and it works great, although it's way harder to sand than JB weld it dose not crack like it. It's super strong and is perfect for Franken casing, but if u are looking for a filler I would stick to JB weld

51d7b7f572dc01edecaca53d43315629.jpg

megalomaniac said:
does this happen on every title?
try loading homebrew, see what happens...

Yes it happens on every game, should I try to reflash Swiss? Or rewire it completely, although I don't see how it's a problem with the wiring.

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help.

Ok guys I rewired the wiikey on a different board (because I pulled up a tiny resistor on my other board and now it won't work) and I ran into another problem. When in the Swiss menu the controller will not work. I have no idea what's going on, I'm pretty confident in my wiring, although it could be the problem. If anyone knows what's going on I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks

Ok so I have realized that I need to rethink the size of this portable. With this being my first attempt it has proven to be a real challenge. I have gone through many gamecube mobos and a couple of wiikeys. I have decided to make this portable bigger than I was originally aiming for and once I have a working portable I will return to the original case and try agin.

Im going to switch to a laser doodle case, and I'm working on getting a new wiikey for this portable. I will begin posting updates as I make progress.

Ok guys I got the case and wow this thing is big. After getting a look at what this case looks like I think I have decided to continue to work on my other case and this one at the same time.

This is the two side-by-side
675eb6113fd155b88ec3f7c5bb4aa35c.jpg

My plans for the new case
0fb3a73ca7d6c15dd5b154cbbbfdf1b4.jpg

If anyone has the back caseing of a psone screen they would like to get rid of let me know.

Did some filling and sanding on the other case but there is still more pinholes to fill.
393b904fbdf17a955ccc882d1b227b0c.jpg

That's all the updates for now, I plan to work on the cases this weekend so more updates soon.

Here's what I got done this weekend.
Before sanding
5c19d1825e5aeb9b8ca6cfd000aad3b6.jpg

After sanding with a quick coat of paint
76b412da4f4d88cd6d1499b7090bffb6.jpg

I still need to fill in some holes but it's getting there. I also cut my mobo, it's a rev c with a minimalist cut. I seem to flock things up when I go to small and since there is plenty of room in this case there was no need to go too tiny.

9d069be9b78f6ae8d9fac2ea5fa8429e.jpg

That's all the updates for now. I have finals this week so I most likely will not get much done till this weekend but I'll keep on updating with major progress.

Ok guys here's an update on my progress so far.
I got some work done on the case and it is almost finished
Here's the front
a7e5752e4c48d5c95bb14b3dd3f643e7.jpg

And this is the back
4c764f7c5378a01d4748eebf9ff912de.jpg

I'm also making good progress on the mobo. The only thing I have yet to do is wire the mem card and clean up the test wiring.
364901c0ce7b1d1b2282d32851f51db1.jpg

I did run into a problem however. Either the wiikey freezes or the controller won't respond when the wiikey reaches this menu
de67cb34d61593955dd3606b182ff967.jpg

If anyone knows what's going on let me know. I don't think it's my wiring as I checked everything twice. Any help would be appreciated.

Your issue with the controller is probably because the controller isn't getting the main 3.3v supply. The controller will work in the BIOS menu if you just have 3.3v on the data line but any software (aka Swiss on Wiikey) requires the main 3.3v supply as well.

By "3.3v on the data line" I mean that the official controllers and the motherboard both have some low-resistance resistor between 3.3v and the controller data lines in order to power those lines. You may have cut off that resistor on the controller side or the motherboard side or both, but if it works in the BIOS menu I think you probably didn't. Check the main 3.3v going to the controller first.

Thinking to myself as I scrolled down this page:
Wow that case is going to be ugly.
(scrolls down)
Wow. I was wrong. So very, very wrong.

Wow man, that casework is so great. Its so smooth. How did you get it so smooth? Teach me your secrets.

I agree. Is it going to be painted or will it stay that slate color? I don't think that would look too bad. A matte paint job would be good though.

Thanks guys! All it takes is time. Just fill, sand, paint, wet sand, and fill it agin. Then u repeat until it's all smooth.

Blargaman91 said:
Your issue with the controller is probably because the controller isn't getting the main 3.3v supply. Check the main 3.3v going to the controller first.
Blargaman I have both data and 3.3 main connected and still nothing. I'm going to try my other wiikey and let y'all know what happens, thanks for the help and compliments.

Is that multi-purpose Bondo? Looks as though it is, but I don't have much to compare it to. I'm asking because of how smooth it turned out.

Edit - Did you use that clear epoxy for filling in the smaller holes left after the initial filler?

Back