Gamecube Portable ( Design & Planning )

So I was honestly going to keep this under wraps until I got done with it, but my excitement and hunger for approval got the best of me. I felt that I had to show someone, so here it is. Please ignore the grammatical errors, I was in a rush.

This portable is a mix of the Psp 2000 , Ps Vita , and the Gamecube. I first schetched them in solidworks and then printed them out on a 1:1 scale; cut them out and scrutinized the design. In the last month I've gone through countless redesigns and have now narrowed it down to the few revisions seen here. Open images in new tabs

Rev 0 (Original)

ojifiu.jpg

I dumped this design because it felt a bit chunky height wise, and the buttons (x,y,z) were too small.

Rev 1

2rqy8gm.jpg

On this one I extended the portable exactly 2/16" thus making room for enlarging the the x,y,and z buttons. Everything was ok but, the d-pad was still tiny.

Rev 2 (Current)

2dgvmkn.jpg

Mutli-view
33lyzgo.jpg

No hard renders until I'm completely satisfied with the design, Sorry.

I worked from the Rev 1 design and made the d-pad larger. It went from .7345" to a comfortable .95". I also added speaker holes like the ones on the Ps Vita. At first I thought it was bad placement, but after cutting it out and handling it, I found that my hands didn't cover them as I had thought they might.

So this is my Gamecube portable, here's some highlights of the specs I've already worked out.

Depth - .65"
Screen Size - 5" (Horizontaly)
Battery Life - 4-5 Hours
Video - RGB

When I'm done creating this portable I'll post my research and design files to mega for you guys to replicate or just look through. If you have any suggestions, please leave them. Thanks

Are those PSVita joysticks?

Are batteries planned to be included?

I like the unique Z button placement. Funny, the beta design of the GameCube controller before it came out looked something like that, the B button the same shape as the X and Y instead of a circle.

Blargaman91 said:
Are those PSVita joysticks?

Are batteries planned to be included?

I like the unique Z button placement. Funny, the beta design of the GameCube controller before it came out looked something like that, the B button the same shape as the X and Y instead of a circle.

Those will be 3ds slider pads, and batteries will be included. It took me like 4 hours to find the right ones.

DarkSlayer said:
I know this was a bit late of a reply but could you link me to the battery you choose?
Thanks

The plan was to include batteries, but my calculations were way off. Getting 5hrs of battery life would have required me to design this to be big and bulky. If I remember correctly, it would have required around 9,000 - 10,000mAh at 7.4v to power this thing for 5hrs.

Hi, I am also interested in making a portable gamecube. However, when researching other people who have already made one, they all use a chip to emulate a disk drive. I have looked into the WiiKey Fusion, the Wode, etc. However it seems you can't purchase them anymore.

Which one do you plan to use? I ask this because I can't seem to find any that are still being produced and would like to find a solution.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, what modeling software are you using for the case?

crispyfri said:
Hi, I am also interested in making a portable gamecube. However, when researching other people who have already made one, they all use a chip to emulate a disk drive. I have looked into the WiiKey Fusion, the Wode, etc. However it seems you can't purchase them anymore.

Which one do you plan to use? I ask this because I can't seem to find any that are still being produced and would like to find a solution.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, what modeling software are you using for the case?

Solidworks

Back