Gamecube Fusion!

Re: Move over NGP... Introducing the Gamecube Fusion!

ZerkRetro said:
I'd say any price over $100 is way overkill.

I will leave other people to answer the other questions, but portables like this cost at least several hundred dollars in parts alone, plus many, many hours of labor to build by hand. Thinking that it would cost under $100 is like thinking that a high end laptop should cost less than $200, even though just the parts to make it cost $400. :p

For comparison, good Gamecube portables have sold for over $800.

PalmerTech said:
ZerkRetro said:
I'd say any price over $100 is way overkill.

I will leave other people to answer the other questions, but portables like this cost at least several hundred dollars in parts alone, plus many, many hours of labor to build by hand. Thinking that it would cost under $100 is like thinking that a high end laptop should cost less than $200, even though just the parts to make it cost $400. :p

For comparison, good Gamecube portables have sold for over $800.

And the fact that every new handheld games system that comes out is at $250. And they are massed produced for as cheap as possible and still sold at a loss. :rolleyes:

$100 is a joke. I would easily pay $1000 for this if I couldn't build one myself. (not saying mine would look this good). :)

I want to shoot someone every time it is just assumed that this is a prototype for mass production. There is no amount of face-palming to explain the extent of fail that posts like that one are.

"I want to be able to play on the toilet" WTF
"anything over $100 is way overkill" No. Just, NO.

I mean, even the pandora handheld cost like $500, and it IS mass produced. Come on, people.

ttsgeb said:
I want to shoot someone every time it is just assumed that this is a prototype for mass production.

I have no clue as to why people think this. It really seems a bit ridiculous, and is really really annoying all the time.

You guys are right. I didn't know he would be making ALL of these systems handheld by himself. I thought he'd have some help or something.

And, it is naturally expected for a handheld to be playable anywhere and slim enough to take it wherever you go, fanmade or not.

And I wasn't aware that other Gamecube handhelds existed. And to think a single one could cost up to 1000$. Well, that shatters my hope of getting one. I'm still a teenager and I can't afford something like this. Ah, well, guess I'll stick to my regular gamecube. Sorry for the stupid questions.

Why not read over the rest of this site? ModRetro is full of many, many portables and guides, you could probably learn to make one yourself, if you are committed!

As for batteries, if you had read this whole thread, he address them. There is room inside the case for batteries, but he did not install any because of safety concerns about using volatile lithium-polymer battery packs.

PalmerTech said:
Why not read over the rest of this site? ModRetro is full of many, many portables and guides, you could probably learn to make one yourself, if you are committed!

^ This, a thousand times over.

I guess I'll put my two cents in since we are on the topic.

First of all I want to say thank you to whoever it was from here (I'm assuming it was here because all sources linked here) to submit my finished work on this to the multiple news sites it ended up on. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to think someone or someones here thought my work was good enough to make those sites as news. The fact that it actually made it onto them is totally awesome IMO.

The only bad thing about having a project like this end up on those sites is (as I've recently discovered) sadly that the people reading the end article have ABSOLUTELY no idea how much time, research, work, dedication and effort go into building something like what people on a site/forum like this regularly produce (Heck, about 6 months of my life's free time was dedicated to researching and poking at the GC and Wii to figure out how to replace that Dang disc drive!). The good thing is the few that do will appreciate your work for what it is and a few that don't may be interested enough to sign up here (or there >.>) and learn what exactly goes into making something just as cool on their own.

Honestly, at the end of the day it amounts to this: (and I believe it was a wise man that once said) "Haters gonna hate, Makers gonna make". Which is entirely true. No matter how many people on those news sites that gave me flak for my flaxty camera work or Darth Vadar voice or my (not so) loud fan or button placement or w/e it may have been. I'll tell you this, it matters a whopping 0 *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing % to me. I made something that I love that most of those retards leaving flaxty comments couldn't do if their lives depended on it, and that's really the only thing that does matter.

Welcome to the modretro family ashen!

You've made a bigger entry splash than most that have joined the modding scene, and you've help a lot of us with your new fangled disc replacement technology! (myself especially)

This family only grows when you understand the kind of work that goes into modding and learning more about technology, only the humble survive here. But soon after they thrive here!

Welcome to the weird plamer brand jelly loving family!

All the complaining is people feeling bad they they've never made anything so epic; so they just have to find something to complain about... Everyone is jealous

hi i just registered to say this, gratz dude your awesome and so is your portable gc! Your project got into the news in a website from Brazil and now we are all jealous of you! Congratulations again and bye :) ~ :dahroll:

Little teaser till I have time to take some better pics and make a decent video this time. :D

DSCN0776.jpg

That's even more amazing than it was before...

Purple one next?

You have ascended to God status quite rapidly, Ashen.

grossaffe said:
You have ascended to God status quite rapidly, Ashen.

Well, it probably helps that I've been following these sites for 10ish + years now.. :D

New video is up. Less of me talking, more game play and showing off what it can do. I didn't take any new pics. You guys get the idea by now. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywckV09cuV4

Still a few small things to do to the black unit. I need to install a 8v step down regulator to run the fan off of. I've ordered the parts but need to wait till they come in. The reason for this is the fan I used in the 2nd unit runs off 5v but it doesn't keep things that cool. 8v should provide a nice happy medium between fan loudness and cooling. I also need to open it back up to re-install the filtering caps on the video and audio lines. I'm getting a bit of interference on both lines for w/e reason in this unit and I think that will probably fix it.

Putting together this 2nd unit had its own set of problems. I ended up killing the original MB that was supposed to go in it (first one I've killed!), had some more fan issues (killed another ATI cooling fan in the process). I managed to somehow scratch the screen slightly in the upper right hand corner... Its barely noticeable while playing though thanks to some "homebrew" ways of fixing LCD scratches, thank goodness. I went through 3 sets of L/R buttons until I finally got the painting results I wanted on them and I managed to somehow glob some epoxy through one of the tiny speaker holes. I also managed to epoxy in the SD card in the SD Gecko slot in this one... thankfully I was able to pry it out and clean it up. I'll have to refine my way of mounting things into the case for the next units... All in all, besides those few minor flaws I think this one turned out just as nice or nicer than the first unit. Glad to be able to move on to rev. 2 or maybe even a new project in between. Thanks again to everyone here who helped and supported me along the way. :D

I'm diggin it. I like the second one better, it just appeals to me more. That said, I'd love to see some Melee gameplay on one of those.

SS

Awesomeness. It was cool in the vid how you showed the emu's and stuff. Great work. I kinda want to see more pic's of them together haha. Are you going to make a black battery pack?

I can't wait to see what you do next. Your skills are phenomenal.

Back