Gamecube 12v / 5v Solder Points.

I've been looking though how people make portables, but one thing i cant grasp is where you can safely pull either 12 or 5 volts from the mobo. Say i want to pull from an uncut mobo, can someone show me where i can pull from ?

Hello, and welcome to the forums! Im not particularly savy on the GC specifically, but the definitive gamecube trimming guide would be a good place to start, but unfortunately, most of Ashen's pictures have been taken offline. Fortunately, the photos are backed up on GCforever, linked here. It has several reference diagrams that contain locations where you can tap into those voltage lines.

However, nobody makes gamecube portables anymore. The wasps (modchips) required to make gamecube portables are becoming incredibly rare, and the wii was found to be a far superior option for portables. It runs all gamecube games flawlessly, uses a fraction of the power, generates a fraction of the heat, don't require modchips or memory cards to be wired up, are easier to wire up, are more rugged, cost less overall, and can be cut much smaller. They also play wii games, virtual console games, wiiware, homebrew, and better emulators. While you are free to make a gamecube portable, it isn't a wise decision given how much easier and better a wii portable is.

Ah yea i looked through that guide, but since it is for trimming, i could not grasp where i could pull from and untrimmed board. See i don't plan on making a portable, but i do need to pull power from the mobo for a screen, basically i will have a small port on the back where i can pull either 12v or 5v for a custom screen as this gc will be built into a vehicle, i want to be able to hot swap the gc for a ps2 so doing it this was would be the easiest and safest bet.

If you can avoid it, you should probably not be pulling power from the motherboard for anything. The traces on the board are designed for the power requirements of the GC, and while they can certainly handle the excess draw, you're putting additional stress on them for no good reason in this scenario. The 5v power regulation is done on an external board with the GC, and if you're using this in a vehicle, you already have a very strong nominal 12v power source RIGHT THERE waiting for you to use it.

Okay, so depending on what version of the PS2 you're using, it takes a 12v supply directly into the back. All gamecubes take a 12v supply directly into the back. Most every screen you'll buy on ebay is designed to be used as a car backup screen, running off of 12v. Your car outputs 12v(nominal).
Your best solution is going to be to find a PS2 with a 12v power brick, find a switching 12v step down regulator, and just create adapters for the consoles so that they can all use the same power connector. You could easily do this without even opening your consoles by splicing into their power cables.

Male in-line power connector
Female in-line power connector
12v Nominal to 12v adapter(Will require adjustments)

Back