Gameboy Color No Power

Discussion in 'General' started by DBofficial, May 20, 2015.

1. DBofficial

DBofficial Newb

So my brother gave me his old Gameboy Color, screen was scratched up but I didn't mind, I always repair things, can solder etc, so took it.

However I'm struggling to find the cause for no power. Batteries don't help, but both fuses test fine and all three capacitors are in good condition and hold a charge (I bought a new set just in case)

There is no battery acid anywhere, everything has been cleaned up nicely and basically I'm almost stumped here. I'm essentially guessing and spending money blindly now and its almost at a point where its going to be cheaper to buy another haha.

Any ideas?

2. Bush

Bush sweet justice

I dont see how there could be, but any roughed up traces? Also check the battery terminals and the 7805 regulator. I really doubt a linear regulator would fail but who knows? Also, have you tried giving it power from a 3V DC supply into the aux power jack?

GameBoys are REALLY durable, so my only guess would be an issue with the power bus or regulator if anything; at least a power related issue. Maybe it got wet or someone ran too much voltage into it? I would look at the battery contacts first, then try an AC/DC based supply into that 3V DC jack. If that won't power it up that way, its probably toast. Check to see that when you provide power how the 7805 behaves. If it operates okay, but no boot, then the Z80 is probably fried. At that point I would bridge all of the fuses and see if that was the issue, not really much to lose if it doesn't boot.

If all else fails, you can get CGBs on ebay for not much at all. Refurbished ones as well with new housings and LCD covers.