Fusion Micro(s) ~ Worklog

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Ashen said:
Obviously the PSP case is to small to house any significant amperage battery, so an external 4000mah 7.4v pack will be built.
I suggest that you reread the post before you say something stupid like that.

Re: Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

It wasn't a stupid question, as he has widened the portable since that post. If anyone could do it, Ashen could. Ashen: I'm sure you have enough space on the sides. Thats what zenloc always does, put cylindrical cells on the side of the mobo.

- mymixed

"did you change your mind about the batteries" and "will there be batteries" are COMPLETELY different statements.
But really, it'll be cool if there was batteries.

nukear said:
I suggest that you reread the post before you say something stupid like that.

Dude, I was just wondering. If Ashen didn't want people to ask questions, he wouldn't have a worklog.

And mymixed is right, Ashen said the PSP case is too small, not a PSP case with a spacer. After adding the spacer, he might have had room for batteries, and that is what I was asking.

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

nukear said:
"did you change your mind about the batteries" and "will there be batteries" are COMPLETELY different statements.
But really, it'll be cool if there was batteries.
^ I was confused. I thought you had no idea that that the ashens post even existed. If you were offended, sorry man.

Sorry guys. Still just not enough room for any kind of significant enough of an amperage battery to run the GC for even an hour.

The reason I extended the case was so that the heatsink could be housed inside the unit, instead of sticking out the back. I do have a bit of spare room around the mobo on the sides of the case now. But just not enough to cram a battery in there.

I probably made this one a bit thicker than it needed to be, just playing it safe to make sure I can fit everything in. I'll probably build a 2nd one after this though and will go for super thin on that one.

Looking good!! You even have space in there for the classic triggers. Might as well add full compatibility.

It is a bit thick though. But like you said you'll probably make another one thinner.

You plan on leaving front panel unmodified? Apart from the extra analog hole ofcourse.

What color you gonna make it??

Thanks man. It will be painted white as that's the color of the cases I bought from DX. I got some industrial grade epoxy white gloss to use this time, hopefully it will work out better than the paint on my first GC-Fusions did (they turned out nice, but mark easily).

Its really not "that" thick. Its about 3/8" thicker than a normal PSP 1000 case - the bump that sticks out the back for the fan. For the next one I'll try some different things in this area as I didn't expect that my setup for this one would keep it as cool as it does. If everything works out the next one should be about 1/4" thinner and wont have the huge protrusion for the fan sticking out like that. :D

If all goes well I'm hoping to have this one done in the next two weeks or so.

Great to hear it's almost completed can't wait to see it!! :mrgreen:

I've been playing allot of games with the psp analogs but haven't seen any real problems with them. Do you know of any games that don't work properly with them?

Are you getting the full range on them stock? How do you have them wired up?

The way I currently have them wired I dont get the full range.
analogstick_pinout.png

That's exactly what I mean. I don't have full range either. But I haven't really noticed anything in game that doesn't work. Every game I use with the psp stick works fine.....

Which games do you notice that you don't have full range?

what voltage are you feeding into the analogs? The "left" on my analogs is a bit behind on range of all the other directions.

I just use the 3.3v line. I have however tested the 3ds analog and it doesn't work properly. one axis will work normallya dn the other axis will be reversed. I doubt it will be possible to make it work right as the little board is printed that way. I plan on fiddling about with them more. Have you tried them?

Nah. I havent tried 3DS sticks yet. I figured they look just the same as psp analogs just with a different nub. Not gonna spend the extra cash for that.

I'm also using 3.3v on the psp analogs. I wonder if it would kill the controller to put 5v going through them and test the range then.

yeah the analog stick is exactly the same as a psp stick exact that you have to move it more the a direction making if feel like you have more control over the range. Not really that fantastic if you ask me. But is does feel alittle better to use than the psp stick.

As for putting 5v through them I'm not sure if it would kill the controller. Guess all you can do is try it and see :p

I actually have a button defect controller which I can test it on. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Little update on a few things.

I put 5v into my PSP analogs yesterday and the voltage change seems to fix all the issues of not getting the full range. I put a 100uf cap on the line before each analog just for good measure. This was tested on my portable, which is using the classic knockoff controller. The extra voltage seemed to have no ill effect on it.

This however presents its own new little issue as I'm not going to be regulating a 5v line once this is all hooked up and put together. I don't really think its prudent to waste a $10+ TI reg just for these 2 analogs that probably draw less than a tenth of an amp together. So I'll probably just get some L7805's ad use one of those, hopefully it wont kill battery life to much.

I've painted the back half of my case. It turned out really nice besides the little bug that decided to land in my wet paint. I'll have to sand and respray because of this little Playstations antics. The good news is that the epoxy paint I bought dries super fast and gets super hard overnight. So it shouldn't eat up to much more of my time.

As of Monday I'll be going back to the 40+ hour a week grind as I've found a job already. Hopefully I can still get this project done in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for doing the leg work ashen!

I've already got a 5v reg on mine for external controllers and audio amp. So should be good.

Nice job ashen!

so this means we should be able to use the 3DS nubs as well?

im a fan of them.

nah the 3ds have inverted direction on one axis. Don't know how to revert just one side and both sides are already linked to each other.

Unless someone comes up with something......

zenloc said:
nah the 3ds have inverted direction on one axis. Don't know how to revert just one side and both sides are already linked to each other.

Unless someone comes up with something......

If I can find one online I'll play around with it.

Back