Fusion Micro(s) ~ Worklog

Re: Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

You guys are too nice... hopefully I can come up with something half as epic as the flax Zenloc does and It will still be awesome. :D

nukear said:
Also,Ashen where'd you get that SD socket?Is it spring-loaded?

Pretty sure I ripped that SD socket out of an old GPS my buddy broke. Yes, it's spring loaded.

nukear said:
wolborg said:
this is by far the smallest portable gamecube out there to my knowledge. Can't wait to see it. Ftw I had no idea GC mobo's could get that small. :awesome:
One of the smallest. :trollface:

Thanks! and until proven otherwise, it is (will be) the smallest.... Of course, its not finished just yet.

nukear said:
Anyways back on topic, hope that vac-form thing works out for you, that sounds.....Interesting. :p

It worked quite well, Much better I think than it would have been if I used the cheap plastic of the knockoff PSP case I bought and epoxy/bondo. Plus... the back half of the PSP case had a pinkish hue to it. Obviously wherever it was made they don't clean their injection molding machines very thoroughly. I'll post some pics when the epoxy is nice and dry.

Nice find ben, I like to rip things apart and cannibalize if I can though. :D

Little more progress pics for your viewing pleasure.

Cut the driverboard of my screen a bit to make it fit behind the LCD without sticking out at all:

46124e17.jpg

7638aa8d.jpg

eb40b482.jpg

Vac formed my mold for the back half of the PSP case. It wont be that thick in the end, but I need to measure a bit before I cut it down and expoy the PSP back half to it. Going to work on that now.

f7b128ef.jpg

df2cd039.jpg

That's just amazing ashen, I hope to copy this one day. This is just amazing.

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Man oh man.I don't know how you managed that, but I think we got a winner. :p

Good stuff Ashen. How are the tiny dual fans working out? And what thickness is your heatsink with those fans. I don't know if you have a thermal sensing chip, but I'd be curious what it held the temperature at.

My 6mm GC heatsink with the 6mm fan embeded works somewhat. But I am not sure how it will do when everything is closed up. Perhaps airflow will be more concentrated on the heatsink making it more efficient...I hope. It's just a bummer that the GC gets so hot. I can't do any thicker than a 6mm heatsink for my next GCP. Just won't work.

Also, I am guessing you can't use the actual PSP sticks? I don't believe they allow for multiple resistance values based off how much you push the stick in any direction (unlike the 3DS nub which does).

Once again, beautiful job so far!

bentomo said:
That's just amazing ashen, I hope to copy this one day. This is just amazing.

Well, if you do I've got the mold for it all ready. :D

Tchay said:
Good stuff Ashen. How are the tiny dual fans working out? And what thickness is your heatsink with those fans. I don't know if you have a thermal sensing chip, but I'd be curious what it held the temperature at.

:oops: I still havent actually tested that fan with my heatsink... I'm pretty confident it will keep it cool enough with it sucking the hot air away from the heatsink though. I'll post here when I get around to it how it works out. My heatsink is exactly 1cm thick.

Tchay said:
Also, I am guessing you can't use the actual PSP sticks? I don't believe they allow for multiple resistance values based off how much you push the stick in any direction (unlike the 3DS nub which does).

I am using regular PSP analogs. When I wired them up to my tiny controller board they worked perfect. They weren't giving the full range of a GC stick though so I'll have to either wire in some resistors or increase/decrease the input voltage to them. I'll figure it out later. They do work though.

Thanks once again everyone, I still say you give me to much credit. I have alot of work to do before I can call this complete. :)

Looking great so far!! As for as your quality it is fantastic!! I also agree that you definitly a modder to be reckoned with :mrgreen:

Pity you didn't use the techniek I told you about to raise the thickness. It would require much less case modding and keep the original look of the psp.

You'd better hurry though.... I might beat you to the punch :p

Ashen let me know anything about the psp joystick, I plan to use them too. ;)

zenloc said:
Looking great so far!! As for as your quality it is fantastic!! I also agree that you definitly a modder to be reckoned with :mrgreen:

Pity you didn't use the techniek I told you about to raise the thickness. It would require much less case modding and keep the original look of the psp.

You'd better hurry though.... I might beat you to the punch :p

Thanks man!

Well... The cases that I ordered from DX turned out to be a bit flimsier than an official sony case. That was part of my reasoning. Plus I'd rather not have a pound of epoxy and glue holding things together. For the way I want to do this, this was the better way by far. It'll still look somewhat like a fatter PSP.

I'm in no rush :D I would love to see you get done first to be honest and I'm fine with having the worlds second smallest GC handheld. :D

bentomo said:
Ashen let me know anything about the psp joystick, I plan to use them too. ;)

Will do!

Nooooooooo..... Your suppossed to say I want the smallest and do it the fastest!!! :p

To be honest I won't be able to do a lot of modding these days as my life is kinda busy. I also busy with just far to many projects.... :sweat: Hopefully I'll get a completed working model in the next couple of months.

Your method will definitly give a nice and clean look that's for sure. Can't wait to see it done.

So many awesome gamecube portables coming I can't keep up with them :eek:

switches to :ninj: portebalizing mode...

Haha! Well no worries then. I'll definitely be churning away at this little project and my Xbox project at the same time. I don't want to rush either of them though, so it may be a while before I can call either of them 100% complete. :D

Made a little progress with the case today and got far enough along that I was able to temporarily mount the fan, heat sink and motherboard into the back half of the case to test cooling. My heat sink is a stock GC heat sink cut down to 1cm height mounted to the motherboard with arctic silver thermal epoxy. I mounted some screw posts to the heat sink to give it about .5mm clearance between it and the fan/case. The fan is the one pictured a few pages back, it is rated @5v but I only had 2.8v going to it. Which is exactly what the little regulator on the GC mobo puts out to power the ram. It runs very quietly.

I'm happy to report that it works wonderfully. I left the GC running for a little over four hours running the title sequence of twilight princess and the heat sink never got more than lukewarm.

Verdict: Sucking hot air away from the heat sink and directly out of the case is way better than blowing onto it or through it.

At the time I didn't have any vent holes cut in the back half of my case so I left it running open. I've since cut my rough holes for vents and I'm gonna give it another go with the case closed up. I'm pretty sure it will work about the same though.

Been a bit busy doing some work for other people the past week or so. Been tryin to squeeze in some time for this when I have a chance. Case is all ready to cut the final holes for all the flax I'm putting in there and then I can paint and put this beast together. Front half has most everything mounted in there now.

DSCN0961.jpg

DSCN0967.jpg

DSCN0962.jpg

DSCN0965.jpg

I haven't really decided yet. I'll probably go with your method though as I have lots of room in the sides of the case beside where the motherboard sits. I'm still waiting on the rest of my parts from DX.... Hopefully they'll be here soon.

AWESOME. The vents in the back are nice. Also, I see a de-soldering iron in the background :D. Nice work as always ashen!

- mymixed

Back