Franken-3DS?

zharrhen

this is actually mostly curiosity, but i may try it.

would it be possible to take the following and make a Franken-3DS?

-a broken 3ds with a working top half and a cracked bottom half
-a half 3ds bottom half that works except for the triggers and start/select buttons
-a broken 3ds with working triggers and buttons, but cracked screens

i found all of these on ebay, and the total cost for all three would be about $20

As long as they are all of the same family either all standard or XL.
You can not mix those two together.
Just make sure of that and it will work perfectly fine.
They also sell sexy white 3DS shells ;)
That might be worth looking into as an extra.

Are the prices accurate in here? I know its eBay and will fluctuate, but when I was looking into this during holiday 2ds sales, then and now everything I saw searching for "3ds broken" still works out to be ~$100. Anything I noticed that was close to your price range was the service to fix the 3DS you have, not for the system itself.

wallydawg said:
Are the prices accurate in here? I know its eBay and will fluctuate, but when I was looking into this during holiday 2ds sales, then and now everything I saw searching for "3ds broken" still works out to be ~$100. Anything I noticed that was close to your price range was the service to fix the 3DS you have, not for the system itself.
Dang, the prices DID fluctuate.

The cheapest option would be to buy a broken one, call Nintendo and tell them you got it used and it is probably not under warranty and that you want to set up a repair. They will name a price and you ask if they will do it for free. They will say yes and then you say you want them to send you the shipping label too. Send it in. Provided it doesn't have water damage and it hasn't been opened it worked on by a third party, they will fix or replace it. They have excellent customer service that will try and work with you to make you happy.

On the offchance they won't fix it for some reason, then you can try combining several broken ones :p

IMO creating your own 3DS from the ashes of its brethren is much more fulfilling than ripping off Nintendo.

IMO creating your own 3DS from the ashes of its brethren is much more fulfilling than ripping off Nintendo.
I didn't say rip them off, I said be honest about where you got it and they will probably fix it. Nintendo is cool like that.

My interpretation was that the OP was looking for a way to get a budget 3ds using his knowledge of modding and electronics. Which isn't a bad idea at all, I just wanted to point out that there was an even cheaper way that is more efficient.

To me, modding is fun when I add to functionality or cosmetic appearance. When I fix something, it's more out of necessity than enjoyment. I figured that the OP wasn't doing this just for fun, but to get a 3ds on a budget as well.

Back