Fixing up a gamecube controller.

Roler

I recently bought a gamecube with 3 official controllers, of which 1 has a broken connector/plug. It recognised it when i wobbled the connector up and down a bit, but is completely broken now.

I have a 3rd party controller that is working, would i be able to use that cable on my original? Will just soldering the wires do the job?

I could probably also use an extension cord for this.

Is there a way of opening the connector? That would probably to fix the connector, but i don't know how to open it without using brute force.

Any help is much appreciated!

Yeah, soldering wires will do the job. You'll see where to solder when you open it up. The wires are color coded. I don't know if you can just open the connector.

I opened up the controllers but they have different colored wires :(. I can't seem to figure out which is what. its both 6 atleast...

Here are some pictures, can anyone figure out which wire is what?

Left one is the third party, with the colored wires, and left is the official one with the broken cable. I got the pinout from a search on google, but can't find it for my 3rd party one.
Click!

Here is the 3rd party controller opened up. just above where you see the wires there are 8 solder bubbles. the 2 on the left go into the rumble motor and the other 6 are the wires in the cable.
Click!

Any help is much appreciated!

The two bubbles on the right are ground. The next one to the left is almost certainly 3.3v. The next one looks like it must be data, then the next one 5v, and the last one appears to be ground. You should plug the controller into a running GameCube and test all those point with a multimeter (beware, the dataline will read 3.3v).

Update:

Measured all the voltages and i'm not sure what to do next.

Pictures with voltages and grounds, green turned out to be 5v instead of ground:

Click!
Click!

Now i tried wiring it in the following order from Rightto Left on the official nintendo controller:

Yellow (3,4v) - Green (5v) - Red (3,4v) - Blue (ground) - Brown (ground) - Zwart (ground)

On the official cable it should be:

Blue (3,4v power supply) - Yellow (5v power supply) - Red (3,4v data) - green (ground) - white (ground) - black (ground)

It didn't work unfortunately. I also tried swapping the Yellow and Red wires, since i wasn't sure what was data. Do the order of the grounds matter? I'm unsure of what to do next, any ideas?

Thanks for the help so far!

I've got a Gamecube controller from GameStop not too long ago and I play melee on my mac. I got the drivers for the controller and I plug it into the adapter. I thought it was the adapter having the problem, months later I went to a Con down by Chicago. I was gonna use my controller because they were using a Gamecube to play the game but my controller did not work on the Gamecube, any of you guys have a solution?

Back