Enabling Sleep Mode without closing console

Blargaman91

This might already be known, but recently I found a simple trick to make your 3DS/DS think it's closed with the press of a button. All DS's detect being closed when the right speaker comes near the ABXY buttons because it senses the magnet of the speaker. The component that senses magnetism looks like this:

2aj7xxi.jpg

(image from an original DS)

It has 3 legs. The top one's always connected to GND. When the console is open, the 2 bottom legs carry a voltage. When it's closed, the left leg still carries a voltage and the right leg is grounded. You can replicate this by making a switch that grounds the right leg of the component. I believe this is totally safe because you're doing the same thing the component would do when it sees a magnetic force.
I've tested in on a New 3DS XL and it works. Given the component is present on both the original DS and the N3DS XL, I would bet it's the same on all DS/3DS models. On the N3DS XL, the component is located here on the ABXY daughter board:

1pxn5y.jpg

And there's a nice test point for that right leg.

You could alternatively place a magnet on the ABXY area and the console will think it's closed. I went looking for a solution without magnets because I needed it, so I thought I'd share what I found.

Awesome, this will come in handy for gameboy macro projects :tophat:

I see you have the new 3ds analog nub there, care to post some info? Is it analog like a thumbstick? Would it be possible to say, replace the c stick on a gamecube controller with it?

WatsuG said:
I see you have the new 3ds analog nub there, care to post some info? Is it analog like a thumbstick? Would it be possible to say, replace the c stick on a gamecube controller with it?
I'm not sure. I don't really want to open my N3DS back up anytime soon, but I will try to look at it if I can.

Back