Downing's CNC Control Box Mod

Downing

Hey guys! How have things been? Sorry to be such a stranger lately but things have been super busy over here for the past few months and posting/forum time has been quite limited. For the past 6 or 7 months now I've been working on a decent sized project and am probably about a month away from a working prototype that I can share with you all.

With that said though, today I decided that it was time to take a break from that for a couple days and work on a new project that I've wanted to do for awhile now that involves enhancing my CNC setup. In the interest of saving space in my shop, I decided to work on a way to combine my CNC's PC and control box into a more compact and better laid out unit.

The idea was to take out a lot of the dead space and bring everything together. So, I ripped apart both my CNC PC and the control box to the bare components. Did a bit of rearranging and mounted the primary pieces to a cut sheet of MDF. Never used MDF in a project before until recently and I have to say that I love the way it actually mills on my machine. Much more consistent than pine and I'll most likely be using this for my case molds from now on. Anyway, back to it.

Here is a pic of the PC and the CNC control box in the nude.
IMAG0104_zps15e5115c.jpg

Here are the components a bit more organized, fastened down and stacked.
IMAG0105_zps6563f577.jpg

Same but with the power supply fastened in.
IMAG0106_zpsa385e4f4.jpg

The sides and top cut and mounted as well as the hard drive.
IMAG0107_zpsb0813b4e.jpg

And now for the fun part...
IMAG0108_zpsa51e97c6.jpg

I'll be adding a graphics card that supports dual monitors and also have a VGA to Composite converter on the way which will allow me to run both my 15" flat panel and a 5" PS1 screen I had laying around built right into the dash of the unit. This will be useful to have with Mach3 running and just make the whole setup a bit more versatile. I'm also going to mount a USB numeric key pad to the right of the screen so I can make adjustments quickly as well as add a bit of convenience to the whole thing.

So far I've got about 3 hours into this and unfortunately until I get the basics sorted my CNC is down for a bit. But, it won't take long to get it running the way it was without the add-ons if the need arises. So hopefully Monday or Tuesday I'll have all the parts in to make this update work. More to follow shortly!
IMAG0109_zps17f35bea.jpg

Got a bit more work done today, mostly with the face plate. Would have had more work done but the first 2 hours of my day was spent digging out of nearly 30 inches of snow! We got nailed by that storm last night and man was it a time trying to dig out of it!

Anyway, I got all the cuts and holes completed in the faceplate as well as got the key pad, screen and speakers mounted in place. Right now everything is being held in place with Goop, but once I find out how much room I have to work with on the back, I'll be making some more permanent mounting brackets for them and the buttons.

IMAG0112_zps6ac69722.jpg

IMAG0113_zps7225927b.jpg

IMAG0114_zpsc0bf1149.jpg

I gotta say though, it seemed both odd and enjoyable making these cuts with a Dremel again. Though I like filing and using the Dremel, I spent close to two hours cutting out simple face cuts with decent but not perfect quality cuts that could have been done in 10 mins with perfect results via CNC. But alas, it is what it is at this point and hopefully by Tuesday I'll have this working well.

Made quite a bit of progress on this over the past couple of days. Had one Heck of a time trying to figure out why my PC wouldn't turn on after I got everything mounted into place. Turns out the color coding on the main on/off switch was wrong and I was plugging the main LED into that spot. It was fortunate that the original CPU case shell had a diagram telling me where everything was supposed to plug in. After that was fixed (2.5hrs later) progress started to flow.

Yay! It finally turned on! That is a 120mm fan so it will more than cover the circulation once I get a backing in place. Still kind of a mess.
IMAG0116_zpsd3722d1a.jpg

The power and reset hooked up properly.
IMAG0117_zps0d415305.jpg

Regulator for the PS1 Screen
IMAG0118_zps4b4a401c.jpg

Nicely sealed up now.
IMAG0120_zpsb2978cf2.jpg

Dual Screen test.
IMAG0119_zps85f67fdd.jpg

PC now hooked up to the PS1 Screen. Worked on the first try!
IMAG0121_zpsb92135af.jpg

The rough face mounting
IMAG0122_zps790664df.jpg

So the next phase will be getting the control box for the router tested. Will have to be careful here as I thought I took more pictures of how it was assembled than I really did so there are just a couple question spots I have, though I don't think anything bad will come of it if I'm wrong. Once I get that tested and working, I'll be putting a backing on it as well as painting the rest to match the face plate. Shouldn't be much longer now! Hopefully tomorrow!

Back