DKstation Build Log-revived

DK

Donkey>King
Finally started on a portable :mrgreen:

Found out that a 9000 series PS1 mobo fits nicely into a Gamegear case so Trying it atm.

All was going well until I started working on the power. I know it takes 3.3v and 7.2v according to Metrolf
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37804

Copied is diagram except used a PTH08080WAS to provide the 3.3v which seems to work. Hooked it all up though but it doesn't seem to power the system properly. The disc spins up, but more slowly than usual and no video/audio is outputted. Doubt its the 7.2v being the problem as I'm using a 3 amp variable power supply so I was wondering, does anyone know how many amps the 3.3v line needs?

Pics... tomorrow ;)

Edit: Power now works, not too sure what happened :awesome:

Re: DKstation

YESSSS!!! finally, some love for sony! all these n64-p's really need competition! cant wait to see pics

Re: DKstation

Not much to show at the moment, only a TI card outputting 3.3v and a controller with some extra wires sticking out of it :p

Re: DKstation Build Log

I'm a sucker for a good GG project. I'm looking forward to this. :)

Graah :'( Real life kicked in so this'll have to take the back burner for a few weeks. Need to go back to Uni for a while to cheer up my housemate whose had a flax few weeks.

Necrothreaddddddd :awesome:

Home for the week looking after my dogs while my parents go to Chicargo so,

img20101126162013.jpg

3.5inch screen installed ::3:

budnespid said:
That may be a tight fit for controls thar.
Thinking of using PSP buttons at the moment but always open to suggestions.

DK  said:
budnespid said:
That may be a tight fit for controls thar.
Thinking of using PSP buttons at the moment but always open to suggestions.
I dont think it would be that cramped. Use retrocon analogs and youll be fine, probably.

Building this for FF7/9 so probably won't include joysticks. If I do I'm working on modding some PSP nubs so they click for L/R3.

img20101127153009.jpg

CD Drive
img20101127153018.jpg

Avec CD

Annoyingly I burnt my finger while picking up a roasting hot piece of bolt. Now I have a screw patterned finger print :D

Why did you pick up a hot bolt? For that matter, why was the bolt hot in the first place?

XCVG said:
Why did you pick up a hot bolt? For that matter, why was the bolt hot in the first place?

I was using a dremel and cutting disc to cut down the bolts holding the CD drive onto the Gamegear. Didn't think it would be that hot, was though :dah:

Grahh, fried the playstation. Should win one off eBay tomorrow so I'm not too sad.

Epoxied in a NES d-pad in to replace the gamegear's and added the start and select button from a PSone controller. I'll post pics when I've finished bondoing it.

Back