Desktop Plotter

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
After I saw Brunoip's printer, I really wanted to make something like that for myself. So I decided to make a plotter, heavily basing the design off Bruno's project.

2cwjy1w.jpg

It has a 1.5x1.5 inch printing area, or 120x120 pixels. Here's a quick WIP overview:

The casings of all the CD and floppy drives I went through:
10zu7b8.jpg

Beginning stages of the carriage and pen holder. The gear assembly was the opening mechanism for a CD drive. The sliding assembly was made with bent N64 heatsink, floppy drive read head sliding assemblies, and plastic. (Though that part isn't shown here.) I bought some plastics epoxy for this project - it was a godsend.
Also, tip - if you're working with a soft material like plastic of aluminum, you can usually drill a hole and just use the screw to tap it. That's what I did for all the tapped holes in this project, and it works very well.
1z4wl90.jpg

The motor assembly is held with a spring and a loose screw. This keeps it stable, but lets the assembly give a little when the pen hits the paper.
zj9vee.jpg

Had to buy $5 worth of hardware for the x and y axes. Total project cost: $5.
2zemjit.jpg

Prototyping the motor control circuitry. A MOSFET turns the motor on and off, and another controls a DPDT relay that reverses current to the motor. Because everything else ran off 5v and the relay was 12v, I grabbed a TI step-up regulator I had laying around for a long time and used that just for driving the relay.
2vb3ll3.jpg

Close up of the installed control board. The right-angle header on the right is for the pen motor, the big header here is for the parallel port, and the small header goes to the floppy drive boards.
14dzu3d.jpg

Close up of the whole pen assembly. The switch detects when the pen holder has gone down far enough, and signals the computer to reverse the motor. You can also see the pen holder I detailed earlier.
651gqu.jpg

And the tray to hold the paper. You can see one of the two metal clips used to keep it from moving:
qqxpmo.jpg

Here's a few examples of how the prints turn out:

At 80dpi, it can make some pretty small stuff. I need a better pen for that, though, because ballpoints don't work so well when you just tap them on stuff, and the ultra-fine Sharpie is too big and bleeds everywhere. The lines turned out rather wavy on that mini Twilight for some reason, but it does the fine stuff very well usually.
2qk8i2o.jpg

25gwe50.jpg

This is one of my favorites, printed on the back of my school ID:
ay0lls.jpg

Obligatory Palmer. The spiral above him was printed with the "Ballpoint Mode" in my software, where it puts the pen down, moves it forward and back one step, then lifts it. It makes much darker points at the cost of some smudginess.
2j0mmc3.jpg

That's it! If you have any questions, please ask.

Can you somehow make it vector or something so that it can do smooth curves?

Unfortunately, no, not unless I get better stepper drivers. Ones that could do like 1/4 steps or something. The resolution just isn't good enough with these driver boards and steppers.

Pretty awesome, I like it.
I guess that palmers face took ages for being printed, lots of dots.
Was my soft any useful?

Thanks, guys!

Bruno - Yeah, Palmer's face took a grand total of 23 minutes to print. XD I could make it a bit faster if I had it read data ahead and go to the next line when there's no more dots to be printed on the current line, but that would require a lot more programming that I don't really feel like doing. Maybe someday.

I did use your software for a while, until I was doing more research and found a way to convert BMP's to a form of text that QBasic can read. So yeah, it was helpful, but I don't use it as much any more. :(

Saw it on Hackaday and got momentarily weirded out by Palmer's face being there.

i want to make one of these but i cant figure out how to do it in 2 different ways

1.i just cant figure out the pin-out of my servos
and
2. i want to do this using my arduino does any one know how to control the servos with the arduinio

thanks for the help (if someone helps) and can you give me and idea of the code ill have to do im kind of a arduino noob : :lol:

nkiki2000 said:
i want to make one of these but i cant figure out how to do it in 2 different ways

1.i just cant figure out the pin-out of my servos
and
2. i want to do this using my arduino does any one know how to control the servos with the arduinio

thanks for the help (if someone helps) and can you give me and idea of the code ill have to do im kind of a arduino noob : :lol:

Kinda an old post, but this might help. A quick Google of servo lead me to the arduino servo reference page, which answers both questions. ;)

Back