DarkWing - PIS2 portable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkWing, Dec 19, 2013.

1. DarkWing

DarkWing Member

Case Update

So after all that sand there was… more sanding.
    Did a coat of primer which revealed quite a few defects and by digging a bit some of those defect where actual air bubble from the ABS cement.
    Applied a nice layer of filler to fill those suckers.
    [​IMG]

First coat of paint was not bad although I painted it in my garage which is dusty af.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did some really fine sanding (800, 1200) to remove some of that dusty paint and did a few more layers of spray paint.

Only down side the word portable which is starting to be hard to read.
    My OCD side is a kinda trigger by it but will not touch that case anymore after all that sanding.
    I also have a small hand syndrome ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Till next time!

2. DarkWing

DarkWing Member

So I had this idea for a while which was to use the button of a PS3 controller as the main switch for the portable.
    The cool thing with that button is that it is semi-transparent so you should be a able to see a light through it.

For this I got a tack stitch which comes with a LED, cut a small piece of transparent plastic which will replace the tack switch "lid"
    [​IMG]

Because that section will also have the screen and volume control I got a few things to make a prototype board and screw post
    [​IMG]

I used the same approach for the joysticks, button and D pad
    [​IMG]

Homemade screw posts, basically nylon spacer with ABS cement.
    I went with Nylon because it’s quite easy to adjust the height with a Dremel
    [​IMG]

The different boards, I also filled the button and d-pad so that I got more contacts against the tack switches.
    [​IMG]

And finally testing the main switch LED, it worked quite well, just bright enough to notice it but not too bright that it is distracting.
    [​IMG]

It’s starting to take shape ;)