Crisis... Possible bricked Wii... Help!

So, I'm about a month and half into my wii laptop project, and literally about one day from finishing. I had a bridged wire wear the sensor bar goes to the board, so I was rewiring the video, audio, ground, and sensor bar wires on the board. Fast forward 39 minutes and my wii boots to a black screen and no sound.

What did I do????

The only thing I can think of is maybe the board got too hot? I was putting in header connectors to make sure the wires didn't touch, and I was having a hard time getting the solder to melt in the holes, so I hard to heat the board up pretty hot (and I heated it from the underside), but I've done that before and didn't suffer any I'll effects.

I tried to see if there was anything damaged on the board, and I did notice two places where there wasn't any surface mount components, and I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be, and maybe they fell off because the board was too hot (never happened to me before, but I'm grasping at straws at this point!).

I found some spare ones I had and soldered them onto the board (don't even know if the ones I had are compatible), but no go.

The power light comes on when plugged in, and it turns green when you turn it on, but just to a black screen.

Here is a picture of what I tried to replace:

9lI7jpN.jpg

Heating the board with an iron shouldn't have any effect like that.

Those components are minor filtering for the audio lines. They won't affect whether your console works or not.

Booting to a black screen is most commonly caused by the bluetooth or wifi modules not being connect correctly. Check those first or try to swap them out with different ones. Also check that the board is producing all of the correct voltges (5v, 3.3v, 1.15v, 1v) in the regulator area.

Maybe yout video wire is simply not connected correctly, so try connecting a wii remote to see if the board is running. Feel the processors too to see if they produce any heat.

Heating the board with an iron shouldn't have any effect like that.

Those components are minor filtering for the audio lines. They won't affect whether your console works or not.

Booting to a black screen is most commonly caused by the bluetooth or wifi modules not being connect correctly. Check those first or try to swap them out with different ones. Also check that the board is producing all of the correct voltges (5v, 3.3v, 1.15v, 1v) in the regulator area.

Maybe yout video wire is simply not connected correctly, so try connecting a wii remote to see if the board is running. Feel the processors too to see if they produce any heat.
Thanks, I didn't think to check the Bluetooth and WiFi modules, I'll do that and see if that works!

EDIT: I tried reseating the WiFi and Bluetooth module, still black. I check the video wires and they are secure and correct. I also tried the wiimote and it didn't connect :/

Last edited:
Back