Crimson Cube v3 (For Commission)

Small Update 7/16/15:

All I could do today was trim the controller board, solder the wires to it and epoxy them into place as well as solder to the FFC cable, epoxy it and solder it to the motherboard. I'm a bit bummed because if I had all the parts in hand, I could have finished this portable up today... Oh well, here are some pics.

Close up of my homemade Wasp adapter.

Close up of the controller board prepped and ready for installation.

Update 7/17/15:

Okay, so I got a few parts in yesterday and between then and now I basically to finish all of layer 3 on the bottom. I also wired up the controller. Thisp portable would be done by now if the seller hadn't sent me the wrong size screen. Grr. Oh well, all I have left to do is install the screen which should take about 10 minutes or less and then I can close this one up! Here are some pics for you guys to see.

This is the bottom half. Everything is installed, wired and epoxied in place. There's no more left for me to do in this half. Also, I opted to use a FFC breakout board instead of the adapter I made. The adapter worked fine, but I wanted a bit more stability for peace of mind considering that this is a commission. Also, I had one lying around, so why not? Everything is working perfectly.

Here's the top half. The controller, controls and power switch are all wired up and working perfectly. I am literally only missing the screen. If I had the screen, this portable would be done.

I was gonna over haul most of it for my 7inch screen and cylindrical batteries and use the buttons holes since they've been tested and work so it's a lot less trial and error for me. Any where i can get just the button hole or at least the measurements for them? Our school just got a really high end 3D printer so I was going to print the case with that.

Fluxedo said:
I was gonna over haul most of it for my 7inch screen and cylindrical batteries and use the buttons holes since they've been tested and work so it's a lot less trial and error for me. Any where i can get just the button hole or at least the measurements for them? Our school just got a really high end 3D printer so I was going to print the case with that.

So you were gonna ruin the design... Basically. Look man, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but measuring the components myself and trial and error on the button holes is how I was able to make such a nice case in the first place. I did my due diligence and it paid off for me and I'm not going to give it up for free considering the hours that I put into creating this design. I'm sure that if you put in the same effort, you can accomplish the same thing for yourself.

Also, a 3d printer is only as good as the slicer you use. Sure their printer may be "high end," but it will still print like crap if the slicer used is crap. So unless they use Simplify 3d like I do, it's not gonna make much of a difference.

??? Wasn't trying to offend you or anything? You replicated the kidney shape of the X and Y buttons and the octagon gates for the controller and I didn't see a reason to waste filament redoing the fitting and trial and error. I wasn't going to try and profit off of your work or not give credit I was working on a case for my next portable and figured 3D printing would be best.

Fluxedo said:
??? Wasn't trying to offend you or anything? You replicated the kidney shape of the X and Y buttons and the octagon gates for the controller and I didn't see a reason to waste filament redoing the fitting and trial and error. I wasn't going to try and profit off of your work or not give credit I was working on a case for my next portable and figured 3D printing would be best.

I didn't intend for that to come off as aggressive as it may have and I apologize for that. The thing is that you're not the first person to inquire about my design and everyone who does almost expects me to just give it away. Either that, or they want to change it or they want me to make changes to it not understanding that everything was carefully planned out in accordance to the design. The position of all the components, comfort, supports, screw posts... Everything. Which would mean that a lot more work would have to be put into the design to keep it functional. It really isn't as simple as just moving things around.

Also, you don't need to waste filament. Simply make your design in 2d first and print it out on a regular printer. This way you can line the buttons up with the 2d printout to make sure the holes are the correct size.

RedmagnusX said:
Also, you don't need to waste filament. Simply make your design in 2d first and print it out on a regular printer. This way you can line the buttons up with the 2d printout to make sure the holes are the correct size.

Why have I not thought of this before? I will certainly use this trick in the future.

Regardless, I do think your response was a little harsh. The modretro community seems to have an attitude of openness and access to information. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars on buying and cutting open, experimenting, and destroying wiis. I stayed up all night more than once sanding boards. I even was bedridden for a week from breathing in all the fiberglass and copper. I did that for my own benefit of working on my Wii portable.

I chose to post it all to help others so they didn't have to go through what I did. Anyone else could put in the same effort and obtained the same result, but I chose to share it freely. Because so many others like Tchay, ShockSlayer, Ashen, Blargaman, and Gman have contributed, I knew where to start. I would not have been able to accomplish anything if it werent for them. The least I can do is give back.

Wanting to keep your CAD design to yourself is perfectly understandable. Not sharing the dimensions of your button is somewhat understandable. Its your right as the creator to not do so. But I do believe openness with discoveries and helpful information is why we as a community have been able to accomplish so much, so openness is what most people are used to.

That's fair that you want your design to stay like that. I'm mostly interested in the holes you created that clones nintendos controller. It's your design so I respect whatever you'd like to do with it I think the people asking to use it just saw it as a good starting point to create a design that would work for us and that you had a lot of the replications of Nintendos buttons holes done which isn't a hard task just time consuming.

Dyxlesci said:
RedmagnusX said:

Why have I not thought of this before? I will certainly use this trick in the future.

Regardless, I do think your response was a little harsh. The modretro community seems to have an attitude of openness and access to information. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars on buying and cutting open, experimenting, and destroying wiis. I stayed up all night more than once sanding boards. I even was bedridden for a week from breathing in all the fiberglass and copper. I did that for my own benefit of working on my Wii portable.

I chose to post it all to help others so they didn't have to go through what I did. Anyone else could put in the same effort and obtained the same result, but I chose to share it freely. Because so many others like Tchay, ShockSlayer, Ashen, Blargaman, and Gman have contributed, I knew where to start. I would not have been able to accomplish anything if it werent for them. The least I can do is give back.

Wanting to keep your CAD design to yourself is perfectly understandable. Not sharing the dimensions of your button is somewhat understandable. Its your right as the creator to not do so. But I do believe openness with discoveries and helpful information is why we as a community have been able to accomplish so much, so openness is what most people are used to.

While I understand your point, it is a different situation. Ashen was kind enough to share his information when it came to, well most things when it comes to the Gamecube. However, you do not see him sharing his case designs with people. This is because sharing knowledge of something is different than sharing one's own creations. He shared the knowledge of how to mod the Gamecube so that other people can then do it for themselves. I'm definitely willing to give advice and tips on how someone can accomplish the things that I did with my design, as proven by the tip I gave in my previous response, but I am not willing to just make my work available for free. If I were to give anyone the stl for my case design, then what's to stop others from obtaining it and printing it out to profit off of?

Heck, I can think of many major contributors to the community who keep their designs to themselves. Downing doesn't share his case designs or button layouts, Megalomanic doesn't share his megadrive designs and RDC doesn't share his pcb designs either. So while information is made freely available by these people, personal creations are not. You have to pay each and every one of them for their work. Why should my work be any different?

Fluxedo said:
That's fair that you want your design to stay like that. I'm mostly interested in the holes you created that clones nintendos controller. It's your design so I respect whatever you'd like to do with it I think the people asking to use it just saw it as a good starting point to create a design that would work for us and that you had a lot of the replications of Nintendos buttons holes done which isn't a hard task just time consuming.

I already had one guy ask me if he can get the design so he can print them out to sell them, so your assessment isn't entirely accurate.

Sorry if i'm coming off as nosy, however in one of Ashen's Gamecube portables, he said that he wanted to
make it like a guide so that any one willing to know how he made his case could try too.

Ampz said:
Sorry if i'm coming off as nosy, however in one of Ashen's Gamecube portables, he said that he wanted to
make it like a guide so that any one willing to know how he made his case could try too.

But is he giving away his designs? That is my point. I'm willing to do the same thing, but I'm not gonna give away my design file.

Rofl this is getting too complicated I'll just redo the button holes and upload them for you guys

Fluxedo said:
Rofl this is getting too complicated I'll just redo the button holes and upload them for you guys
LMAO Some people, I swear... They like to spin things around on you when they don't get what they want.

Back