Convert gamecube analog to digital trigger

I came up with this yesterday, think it might work.

triggerassembly.png

I'm not even going to try to read that. <3

I ordered 50 BC547's yesterday from mouser for like, $3. I probably wouldn't mind mailing some of them out to people who I think need them.

SS

Why make things complicated if it can be done simple. Check my first post for a video of my mod in action and my new mod which utilizes 2 tacts switches on top of each other.

That's what mine is, simple as far as I can get it, two copper contacts act as a tact switch for the pot, while one tact switch for the r button itself

Your design had a spring involved. But yeah it's the same system. It all works the same. The tact duo is just really easy to instal and works fantastic even better then sony's pressure triggers :mrgreen:

The thing is I can't think of a way to keep the top tact in place while it's being pushed, I want to find out which method is better, which I will test later, the overall physical assembly for this just seems really annoying. UGH!

Don't you need a lot of pressure to push the bottom tact?

No not really it is just right. Rubber light push and normal firm push. I have tested this mod on plenty of games and I have had absolutly no problems with it. It read all my button pushes perfect.

tact.png

For ss.

What did I just.

I need sleep.

Also, I should make a program so people wont be lazy with diagrams.

Also, I need sleep.

Thank you antome for cleaning up my 20 second tablet drawing. Plus I just realized I spelled pressure wrong. :sweat:

I have my 50 transistors now.

Oh, I also found this really small 10k slider! It's perfect for our needs!

IMG_7588.jpg

Great, right? This was supposed to be 10mm long not 10mm wide, I was ordering it for my audio amp. ;_; I might use it anyways.

SS

You'll definitely get some precise control with that biatch. I hope you didn't order 50 of those. ><

If you use it, it will be epic.

Nope, just one. I would love to have 50 of these, I would make like a custom soundboard or something.

I'm kinda tempted to hook it to my GC controller just to see how precise I can get. XD

SS

So, I have these installed in my portable, and they aren't as sensitive as I'd like them to be. Maybe it's just the buttons, but they are the carbon contact kind, I kinda have to push down hard on them to get them to work.
They are the carbon contact pads and membranes from the 1st party GC controller's L and R buttons.

Any thoughts?

SS

ShockSlayer said:
So, I have these installed in my portable, and they aren't as sensitive as I'd like them to be. Maybe it's just the buttons, but they are the carbon contact kind, I kinda have to push down hard on them to get them to work.

Okay, actually, it turns out the buttons needed a little bit of cleaning, that weird superglue flaxe got in them. Oh, and I had to rewire the R buttons "click" line, it came deattached.

But. I found something interesting. If you know anything about carbon contacts, then you know every time you press a button, you don't get 100% connectivity. You get quite a bit, but not 100%. Carbon to carbon is not the same as copper to copper.

I've actually seen this demonstrated many years ago; you could wire original xbox controllers straight to USB, and use this program called XBCD to connect them and stuff. It had a testing layout, you could see how far down the triggers were pressed, the deadzones of the joysticks, etc. And, the buttons would turn shades of red when you pressed them. You could control that based on how hard you pushed the button. Neat.

Aaaanyways:
I noticed that when the R "click" line wasn't wired up to the transistor, I actually got a degree of control over the shields in SSBM, solely based on how much contact I was making with the pads; the resistance was slightly varying the voltage, and as a result the analogue line was somewhat controlable.

I found this interesting. I'm thinking it could be exploited in a way, only slightly, but still exploitable none the less. I may do some more testing with this later.

Any thoughts?

SS

Bush said:
I found some info here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13691
and here's a crappy single tact diagram I made:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13599

We really need someone to make a comprehensive guide on trigger solutions.

Now that I think about it, I believe I could just tie in either a pull up or pull down 10k resistor to a tact switch for the intermediate press.

Edit: looking at those links, it looks like that is what they actually what they pretty much did.

Back