confused about wii softmod

Hi guys so i picked up a nintendo wii for 8 pounds at my local carboot with the intention of modding it to run games from my external hard drive (mainly gc games) which of course i own the originals
well the cases at least.

Ok so i installed the homebrew channel which was far easier than i thought it would be but
i want to use priiloader to prevent me or my kids bricking the system and also a usb loader to do the aformentioned things

my first problem is i cant install priiloader i simply dont know what im doing wrong i get various errors and i dont understand the whole ios thing
i assume that these are like spaces in a registry that the wii uses to execute the programmes but
i dont know how to edit them and if it is safe to do so and in all honesty i dont know what i would do if i were told it was ok to edit them lol

could someone please explain what an ios is and why i get message ("its time to figure out how to get some ios action on your wii and come back to me") and what it means

It's been a while since I've messed around with Wii softmods but I may be able to help. There are these things called Input Output Systems (IOS) and they are kinda like modular pieces of the kernel. Different games and updates will upgrade or install new ones. You need to install/modify certain ones to get the priiloader to work. I believe I had to reinstall/modify/revert/update my IOS236 to get priiloader to install. There's all sorts of sketchy pieces of homebrew out there that will let you do such modifications.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

EDIT: Here's a list of some of the IOS's and their versions: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History

Back