Circle Pad Pro built in 2DS

This is more of a discussion than it is a question, I suppose. But I just bought a 2DS for a fairly good price and then realized that there is no Circle Pad Pro designed for it. I've found a video of a guy basically chopping one up and forcing it to work on the 2DS and it does seem to work. So I thought I might try to take one apart myself but mod it into the 2DS casing.

After looking at the insides of a CPP, there is not much to it.

18j11f6p9wr4ljpg.jpg

And after looking at a teardown of the 2DS it seems there could be enough space to mod one in. I won't be home for a couple weeks so I won't be trying anything soon, but so far I have this idea... (excuse the poor photoshop skills, I didn't find it worth it to spend so much time getting the colors right)

x3z67s.png

I could probably move the start/select a bit closer to the screen on the right hand side, but I'll find out more whenever I take it apart.

The other issue is the triggers. Not sure how I'll do that.. I initially wanted to move the original L/R triggers on the back to be more comfy before I thought of the CPP mod, but now I'll have an extra 3 shoulder buttons to place. Although, the only NEW button is ZR right? And the other 2 buttons are just L/R remapped? If so.. this makes it a heck of a lot easier.

What are your thoughts on this? Realistic to try? Has anybody else proposed this idea? I've done a good amount of searching, couldn't find anything exactly like this.

Not sure if it's possible with the 2ds since the trigger buttons, circle pad, and board will add bulk to the console. As far as I remember, there isn't much space in there to work with. Currently I'm attempting a similar mod, but instead with a 3ds inside a 2ds housing. Long story short, bought a 2ds with a broken screen for relatively cheap. Instead of purchasing the hard to find 2ds LCD, I decided to make a 3ds with a CPP mod inside a 2ds shell. The only thing left for me to do with the casing is to make speaker holes. Below is my concept art:

Also, in my mod I will have to relocate the cartridge slot, buttons, and sd card slot. Plan on adding start & select buttons to the side of the unit.

Wow that sounds pretty cool! Interesting concept too. I couldn't decide whether it would feel better with the right analog on top, since I really like the positioning of the ABXY buttons on the 2DS. It's true it would add bulk to the back of the 2DS with the CPP triggers added. I suppose worse comes to worse I could just only add the ZR button (since I assume the regular L/R buttons still work with it attached?). As for room inside the 2DS, all I would need is enough space for the thickness of the analog so I hope I have at least that much.

I also noticed the IR sensor on the 2DS is right above the game cartridge slot, so I'd likely have to cover it and add some way to remove/move over the IR on the CPP when mounted. Or I could move the IR sensor on the 2DS itself, which might be smarter. Tough to plan this out when I've yet to take apart the 2DS myself haha.

You could add another IR sensor for the CPP, and have a switch between that one and the original IR sensor.

Also, this is sounding pretty cool!

bentendo64 said:
You could add another IR sensor for the CPP, and have a switch between that one and the original IR sensor.

Also, this is sounding pretty cool!

That's a good idea too. I'll have to consider that.

After a bit more consideration, it would probably be a lot easier to put the right analog where the notification light is (top right). I could move the light or get rid of it, whatever I want to do, and then I would only have to add the ZR button as the L and R buttons would feel natural in that position. Of course it's still dependent on whether there is room or not for the analog.

Back