Choosing speakers that will fit in...

Discussion in 'General' started by Renalti, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Renalti

Renalti Newb

Hi there!

I watched a wonderful (but french) tutorial about modifying a Game Boy Classic into a Game Boy Zero. I'm so excited!! To Heck with these 40 days to wait when ordering components from China grrrrr

However, I have two questions related to sound (here is the related part of the tutorial):

1. Is 5W too much for each (stereo) speaker (along with a PAM8406 board)? If not, then another issue arises: I can't find 5W speakers smaller than 28mm in height (2.8 cm x 4 cm x 1.1 cm). I do not have the Game Boy case yet... Will they fit inside, on each side? I read that the GB is 32mm high, but maybe that includes many things, plus there are the rounded corners... I'm beginning to fear that I will have to switch to weaker speakers. Any advices on max height and best Watts for good sound?

2. I plan to use the Raspberry Pi Zero W (with Wifi and Bluetooth) so that I can use a bluetooth headset (as I read that the stronger NanoPi Neo Plus2 is not supported by Recalbox). But I'd like to be able to use a jack headset if necessary... Could you advise me how to achieve this? If I solder the jack directly to the PAM8406 (or PAM8403 worst case), will the sound still play in the speakers? It would be baaaaad! :)

I learnt some electronics someday, but it was like 20 years ago. Sorry if I'm asking noob/dumb questions.

Thank you for any help!

Best regards,

2. Have you seen Sudomod.com?
    I'm pretty sure thats where he is getting his stuff,
    It's english too btw, tell me if you didn't look there.

3. Renalti

Renalti Newb

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Nah, he found his parts on ebay or amazon mostly (he gave the links in the video description).

He is also using a (lousy from what I read) CM108 chip, whereas the PCM2704 seems to be a lot better (I'll try to find an even better one, but I don't want to invest too much either).

Yes I saw this tutorial about the mintyPi, pretty impressive too! Although I prefer the retro look of the GB classic ;-)

4. I would suggest the PAM8803

Also, when i suggested Sudomod, The person there, (WERMY) (I believe, and from what i can tell) did the first GBZ, Go to the forums.
    http://www.sudomod.com/game-boy-zero-guide-part-1/

Find a broken or used GB, Either go to the local thrift shop, or find one on Ebay.

5. Renalti

Renalti Newb

Thank you Skeleton, I'll try to order a GB case with fast delivery so that I can check the max height quickly :)

Unless someone over here or over there at Sudomod can give me the information sooner! :)

Thanks again,

The amazing skeleton likes this.