Case mounting tips and help? II

Gamerlolwind

Hay everyone,
Thanx for helping me out with my questions and all :)

I still have some questions I need help with for case mounting when I have to do it:

0) the more space, the more air flow the system will recive have, is it good to have lots of space or minimal amount of space?

1) how much epoxy should I use? A lot? Or a bit? Or enough to get the job done and securing components/parts together?

2) is using super glue a good idea for mounting stuff inside a case? Like screen, speakers, etc?

3) hot glue, I heard mixed options on this, it's good for keeping stuff together but can melt from high amounts of heat produced (and the fact that it is inside an enclosed container).
good idea to use or avoid?

4) use small amounts of PVC (electrical tape) when neassarly, but not to a very high extent that the portable contains a lot of tape?

5) when closing the case, the two halves: (top) & (bottom) are "sandwiched" together, so this causes components/boards/screens/speakers/modchip/batteries etc to bind together, or crush together? So if this is what finally happens, what should the previous steps (1/2/3/4) be or not be to not end up with a crushed or ruined portable but a finished working one in the end of this?

0. space is good for airflow. put your fan so it can flow in the air pockets efficiently.
1. A little goes a long way. Use as much as needed and perform some basic stress test to make sure its secure.
2. NO. I've (stupidly) tried this and it can sometimes melt things and do some other annoying stuff. Only good for casework.
3. Go ahead if you aren't planning on taking this thing out on a summer day and mostly keeping it inside at room temperature you'lll be good.
4. Try to keep a small amount of tape. My past experinces it can keep heat from escaping.
5. Put spacers in between the major components.

Super glue can be a good alternative for hot glue to pin something down while you epoxy it but it's not really that great for permanent fix.

Actually super glue is pretty much perfect for mounting some things.

I use it for my speakers, also for the screen case, for the plastic that I use to hold the buttons.

If you guys are not having success with super glue, then stop using crap super glue. Loctite Super Glue is one of the best. Remember that not all super glue is the same.

And hot glue is just plain stupid. ALL portables get hot enough to soften the hot glue. Parts will move and shift. If you are using hot glue, then you are not interested in building a quality portable. Use clear epoxy once you are sure the part is working and not going to need to be removed.

hailrazer said:
Actually super glue is pretty much perfect for mounting some things.

I use it for my speakers, also for the screen case, for the plastic that I use to hold the buttons.

If you guys are not having success with super glue, then stop using crap super glue. Loctite Super Glue is one of the best. Remember that not all super glue is the same.

And hot glue is just plain stupid. ALL portables get hot enough to soften the hot glue. Parts will move and shift. If you are using hot glue, then you are not interested in building a quality portable. Use clear epoxy once you are sure the part is working and not going to need to be removed.

nice, super rule is great :) but it can't melt once it dries?
it's very hard to peel off, i have had a very hard time trying to peel it off with an exacto knife :(.

epoxy is much better, but it's very difficult to peel off if you make a mistake?

let's say if i make a mistake when placing a component in the case in a position i want it to be, but then miscalculate the length of the wire does't fully reach or something like that, so i have to place it else where but, since i have placed it with epoxy how can i remove it safetly if possible?

hot gule may be okay, but not for portables because of the heat factor.

thanx for the tips, hail :)

and thanx guys for your help with my case mounting questions :cool:

Back