Building my first PC

Discussion in 'Computer/Laptop' started by midgetman104, Oct 19, 2014.

1. midgetman104

midgetman104 Active Member

I've had a friend pick out some parts for me, not really to sure about this stuff. Would appreciate some input from you all, is this the best I can get for the price? Any parts I should replace? I mostly want to use it for gaming. I would like to cut down the price a little if it meant losing little to no performance.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KygxVn

2. Mako321

Mako321 I like purpale ponies

I like it.

3. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

Overall it looks solid, but I'd change the motherboard - I'd go for something Z97 based, since there's no reason to not be on the latest controller - M.2 support and the like are nice bonuses too. I'd recommend the MSI Gaming 5. Also I'd switch from the caviar blue HDD to a 2tb Hitachi K7200 - like $20 more, but 2x the size, and isn't a power efficient (read: slower than normal) model.

As far as knocking down the price, dropping from a 980 to a 970 would drop a good chunk of change off and still have excellent performance. The 970 is excellent value for money. If you wanted to go even cheaper, R9 290s are a bit less powerful than the 970, but can be had for around $260, which saves some more money. If you don't intend to overclock, you could save $20 by getting the i5 4690 instead of the 4690k (also could consider going to an H97 mobo in this case, but you might lose CFX/SLI support in doing so). Another $30 could be saved by ditching the aftermarket cpu cooler, which is nice, but not strictly necessary, especially at stock clocks. Finally, there are cheaper cases - Antec 300 is solid for about $50, and the NZXT source is Dang compelling for $30. That said, I won't tell you to *not* get a Define R4, since it's an excellent case, and excellent cases never hurt.

4. midgetman104

midgetman104 Active Member

Okay switched to the MSI Gaming 5 and the 2tb hitachi. I looked up the 970 and it seems like a really good deal so I'll be going with that, any recommendations on brand/model? I've seen that the general trend is MSI or Gigabyte with the GTX970. I actually got a pretty good deal on the 4690k from a local store so I think I'll stick with that since there's no price difference. Do you think that if I do overclock I should get an aftermarket cpu cooler? I actually really liked this case, since I dropped to the 970 I'm going to pick between this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WO17UC/?tag=pcpapi-20 and the Define R4, but I don't want to get more heat/noise just for the cool factor. What do you suggest? I'm really sorry for the wall of text, just want don't want to become a little more knowledgable about what I'm buying. Thanks a bunch!