Building a own Gaming handheld with Ubuntu/Android

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by Antiheld, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Antiheld

Antiheld Newb

Hi there,

I like the "new" movement of Android handhelds, because in my opinion they replace Homebrew for PSP (and others) and other Open Source Handhelds.
    I think Steam OS will make Linux versions of PC games standart and hope Ubuntu Touch will fuse PC- and Tablet-OS. Therefore my utopia would be an Ubuntu handheld, which is the perfect machine for PC games (mostly Indie and 2D; Games like Papers Please, Limbo, Hotline Miami...), PC Software (like YGOPRO), smartphone and tablet games and of course emulation from 8 bit to the most current handhelds/consoles modern PCs can emulate.

Unfortunately neither of the current and upcoming Android handhelds (Archos Gamepad 2, Nvidia Shield & JXD S7800B) meet my expactation like I wish they would.
    Therefore I have the insane idea of bulding my own handheld which fits my expectations.

My ideal handheld would have:
    • A design similar to the Wii U gamepad. Maybe like THIS or THIS.
    • High end hardware to even make emulation for the more difficult and current plattforms (Dreamcast, Wii, PSP, 3DS, PS2, Gamecube) possible
    • Real button detection (not like the JXD ones where the analog stick is detected as the digital pad) with standart button layout of modern controllers + a capazitive touch screen
    • The best screen resolution possible and about 6" to 7" screen size
    • Easy to seperate and reassamble structure for upgrading the hardware components
    • Good compatibility with Linux/Ubuntu (I know some PC hardware does not)

I think my idea is concrete and more or less well thought out (and of course pretty cool) but there is one problem. I have no experience in building such things whatsoever.
    I have assembled PCs and upgraded hardware back when I was a PC gamer that is where my hardware knowledge ends. I am "the PC technician" for my family which means I solve the software (and of course hardware like setup DSL or PC) problems of my family who doesn't know anything about PCs. I use Ubuntu (which I write here to tell you, that even if my knowledge is not that big I am open minded in searching and learning via internet), tried myself in using FMCB on PS2 and have a custom Rom on my Android phone, which means my software knowledge ends on the "nerd basics" too.

All this leads to why I regestered here and ask you this. I need help. Since I have no knowledge in this field I know this will not be build in a week or so. I already planned making this my project of 2014.
    I am eager to do things on my own, read a LOT and spending money for this project.

For getting started I have many questions and I hope you could help me with them.

"Outer" Hardware:
    • My first big problem is the case. My first idea was getting a broken Wii U Gamepad and use the case. Since I read that it is probably too thin this won't work. Are there any premade cases? Where do the get the design? Can I have them made for me "like 3D Printing or something like it? What is the easiest method (Frankencasing or Vacuum Melt)?
    • Where do I get my screen? What Screen to I need?
    • How many Extra buttons (volume adjustment, Power, Home...) should I plan?
    • Where do I get my Buttons? I think most people use old broken controllers, where do I get them cheap? How do I craft them in my case? Is it possible to integrate vibration? Should I prefer some buttons over others? Is it possible to mix the Wii D-Pad for example Playstation Buttons and Xbox 360 analoge sticks?
    • Where do I get the screws, which should I use?

"Inner" Hardware:
    • I think using tablet hardware would be better since it is easy to assemble it in a smaller place than PC hardware, is that right?
    • Where do I get recent Smartphone and tablet hardware in single pieces? Would it be cheaper to buy a high end tablet and seperate it?
    • What parts do I need in means of connectitity?
      I want it to have more or less the same features like modern tablets which means (micro)HDMI, (micro)USB maybe even to 2x, Headphone, Speakers, Bluetooth, WLAN but no camera. If it would not be that more expensive the gyroscope features and NFC would be cool too.
    • What "regular" parts do I need?
      I only have basic hardware knowledge. So I know there has to be a CPU, maybe a extra GPU (dont know it it is integrated on mobile devices), RAM, Battery, a (mother)board and a harddrive. Did I miss anything? What kinds of these should I use? It should be usable with both Android and the upcoming Ubuntu Touch.

Building Process:
    • Which tools do I need (I only have very limited tools like 2 old hammers, some cheap skrewdrivers one flat plier and one pipe wrench therefore anything should bel listed)?
    • I don't know anything about placing parts on an empty board, how do I do that? What should I keep in mind?
    • How do I connect the controller parts to the board? A while ago I combined two broken PS2 Controllers to a fixed one. There I saw how controllers are assembled and "fixed", how do I do that?
    • Is it possible to assamble it in a way to (easily) seperate it again for upgrading the hardware?

Software:
    • I only changed the OS on systems which are premade and already got one. But does my hardware has something like a BIOS if I assemble it on my own? Do I need something like that? How do I get it?
    • How do I put the OS itself on a selfmade handheld, is it that simple like on a PC or at least like changing the ROM on Android?
    • Like I said in the long run I think Ubuntu Touch will be my favorite OS but depending on how (slow) Ubuntu Touch evolves I will use Android (at first)? Does anything speak against these plans?

General:
    • Are they any beginner tutorials for each of this topics?
    • Should I keep anything in mind which is not covered by my questions?
    • I know the biggest problem is making assembling failures because I have no experience, but where are other possible aspects which could easily generate failures?
    • Do you think it would cost me more than 1000€?
    • Is it possible to buy a high end tablet as well as a current controller, remove both cases "hardconnect the controller to the tablet and put both together in a homemmade case? If yes, would it be easier and cheaper?
    • Is it possible to just buy a high-end tablet as well as a current controller, remove their
    • Which shops for each parts would you suggest? (Since I live in germany they should delivere to Germany

So thats it for now. Thank you for your help.

Best regards Antiheld

2. vskid3

vskid3 Well-Known Member

This would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. Buying a complete tablet is the most economical way of getting all the parts, having them work together, and not be massive.

3. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

For a 7" screen size, you could probably just make a tablet with like, a dockable controller.

In fact, what you're talking about kinda sounds like the WikiPad

4. Antiheld

Antiheld Newb

I never saw the Wikipad before. Unfortunately the performance is not that good. Then I discovered the Razor Edge Pro which has a really god performance but a sucky controller (for its price).

After seeing the Wikipad building my own "Wikipad-controller" for the high end Tablet of my choice would be much simpler.
    Which leads to the question of how to build a controller (espacially the case)?

5. Kickback

I think you're going to need to go with vacuum forming the case to get the correct shape and that if you want to build a custom controller for a tablet, you might be able to cut a Wii U tablet case, but I haven't seen any of those in the wild yet.

6. Antiheld

Antiheld Newb

I believe I would be better in Frankencasing + my brother is an autobody builder (I dont know if this job exists outside of germany) and car painter and I think he would be great in Frankencasing.

I thought about buying THIS, cutting the left and right parts where to controller sits out, and implementing the controller in it. In the middle I thought about buying a generic case for the table I choose and frankencase it with the controller. Then the clipping mechanic works like the one from the Racer Edge Pro but the look and feel is more like a Wikipad.

Does anything speak against this idea?
    I found a tutorial for Frankencasing (+ my brother will probably help me) but no one to properly remove the controller case cut the motherboard in half for replacing the parts and not destory it. Is there any tutorial for that?
    Would you suggest any controller (Wii U Pro, PS3, 360 or any Third party like Logitech or Racer) over another in easyness of disassembling it?

7. Kickback

Yeah, you could easily work with that case, and i'd go with 360 controller, it's wired and USB and Android has great support for it, I re-cased one of my old controllers and other than the security screws, the 360 Controller is really easy to put back together.

8. Antiheld

Antiheld Newb

I like the 360 Controller for its Sticks and Triggers but especially the D-Pad is not my thing (I play a lot of 2D and Retro and therefore this is really important. How about 3rd party controllers, has anybody experience with them?

With dissassamble I dont not lnly ment opening it (sorry for my bad english). I meant cutting in half and still make it owrk which I have to do since the buttons and the d-pad are on two opposides sites.

9. samjc3

samjc3 #1 Female Member

You might look into the madcatz microcon for 360. It's got the same compatibility, since it's still a 360 controller, and has a much better dpad and triggers. Plus it's smaller, which would result in a smaller setup all said and done.

10. grossaffe

grossaffe President Groosevelt Staff Member

What about the Wii's Classic Controller (not the pro-version since that doesn't have analog triggers).

11. pCubeX

pCubeX Member

If you want it to be your own, I would recommend coming up with a case idea, and having a person on this forum or elsewhere make it for you (for a price), and then figure out where to get components for a tablet or really small PC and put them in the case with all the buttons and a display and install your OS of choice. Before you come up with the case, you need to figure out how big everything is that is going in the case and figure out how big it needs to be so you can plan the case how you want it. If you want a specific piece, look up a replacement piece for the tablet you want to take from and buy it. But make sure all your parts are compatible with each other.

12. Vad1er

Vad1er Member

8 cores http://www.arndaleboard.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, 7 inch screen and a Chinese app called happy chick. But then you need a good battery, and either wire in a controller or Bluetooth it into the case. So for 500 bucks you could play anything up to dreamcast and possibly GC in the near future.

13. TacoSlayer

TacoSlayer Active Member

post bump dude

14. vskid3

vskid3 Well-Known Member

Less than a month since the last post and he had something relevant to add, I see no problem.

Supposedly having the power to emulate something doesn't mean much if there aren't any emulators that take advantage of it.

15. Kickback

Less than a month bump is fine.

16. TacoSlayer

TacoSlayer Active Member

17. acosgun

acosgun Newb

Hi,
    Just became a member after seeing this topic, but I've been following the modding and DIY forums for 5-6 years. Currently, I am working on an desktop arcade machine,which will be based on an 7" android tablet, so I think I have the answers for some of these questions :D

First of all, if budget is not a problem to you, I would recommend using an high-end android tablet, or if you could find one, use one of these windows 8 pc's which have touch screens and can be separated from it's keyboard. That way, you will eliminate most of the integration issues such as finding and using some proper screen, proper touchscreen and even amplifier for audio by using the hardware included in the motherboard. Be careful when choosing an Android tablet, it should support gamepads and USB OTG host(most of them do).

For tools, a Dremel-like rotary tool with basic accesories, hacksaw, exacto knife, small fliers, various sandpapers and a sanding block(you can use some wood block for this), a drill and various drill bits would be useful.

Frankencasing may be the suitable option for you, because even if you have the proper tools, it would be difficult to cut some small holes and slots with precision.

In addition to the above, if you scratch the circuits with sandpaper or some blade, the copper beneath the green "paint" can be seen and you can solder some wires to there. With this way, you can split the parts of circuit where the button contacts are and by cables you can connect them to the main part(I couldn't explain it nicely, but after completing my arcade console, I will be posting my work log here too, so you will understand what I mean :) )

If you have any questions, I would be glad to help you :)

18. pCubeX

pCubeX Member

You could also make an OUYA portable. Very possible. You just need to figure out the controller as it is only wireless (Bluetooth I think) and since they dropped down the price on the OUYA now would be the time to get one and try to do it. Plus if you don't par-say like the OUYA OS which is already installed you can easily install a custom ROM for from the XDA forums.