Build me a PC

Noah

Frequent Poster
So my friend wants to build a PC mainly for gaming and video editing (probably streaming too) and originally he came up with something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2NVkw
(That's what he sent me, anyways.)

However, he said he wants something around $700. Memory expansion wouldn't be a bad option unless there is some really good motherboard that's cheap and only supports up to 16. Oh, and a second graphics card won't be added at all, so that doesn't really matter. I haven't built a PC in some time, so I'm not really sure what's top of the line at the moment. Any suggestions/different builds would be appreciated. (Oh, and I almost forgot, he doesn't have a preference over processor type.)

He would probably be fine with a slower CPU for about $200. 16GB of RAM would probably be better than 8GB for video editing, but he could find it for less than the one he picked (I personally go for the cheapest with good reviews).

Did he go with AMD specifically for OpenCL? If not he should probably go with Nvidia. An FX-8350 would probably do multi-threaded rendering a bit better.

Drop to the i5, there isn't enough advantage to the i7 for the price. Keep the RAM, video editing takes a lot of it. If he's using Premiere Pro, get an nVidia card, because it gets a boost from CUDA. I know CS6 can't use OpenCL for Mercury, I think it can for rendering, not sure where CC lies.

A single 1TB mechanical drive is hilariously small and slow in this day and age. My Steam folder is something like half a terabyte, my movies folder (where I put recordings and edited footage, not the other movies folder) is 625GB. If he has external drives or NAS this is less of an issue. If it's all he can swing, okay, but I would seriously recommend an SSD as an upgrade in the future as well as internal or external drives.

Abyss said:
Did he go with AMD specifically for OpenCL?.
Doubt it. He doesn't know enough about computers in general to know to look for OpenCL or to know what it does.

Mako321 said:
Drop the SSD if you want to save dosh.
If you really want intel for quicksync stuffs, don't bother with an i7, and if you want nvidia get a 760.
Sweet, thanks.

Back