Broken Top Screen on NDS Phat? Run it w/o one!

ShockSlayer

Probably SS
So I said to your mom, I found some pinouts here: http://electricstuff.co.uk/ndslcd.html

Then she told me to find out that pin 15 leads to C7. Then we got it on and bridged it. It was dark inside your mom, so she had me put an LED on the backlight's contacts to make the DS think that it was drawing power there.

And boom, babies with no top screen.

VIDEO:

Translation said:
In my search to run the DS Phat w/no top screen, I found some pinouts of the LCD here: http://electricstuff.co.uk/ndslcd.html

I saw Pin 15 was labeled "check". and I traced it and found that it lead to one of the contacts on C7. So I bridged it. It wasn't enough to make it boot properly, and I remember palmertech telling me that on the DS lite all it needed to boot without a top screen was current being drawn from the LCD's backlight, so I put an LED on the backlight's contacts to make the DS think that it was drawing power there.

And boom, babies with no top screen.

SS

I found another way to do it without the little PCB thingy(so no random ribbon cables and stuff)

Connect MOD2(its a solderpad on the main mobo) to both contacts of C7(also on the main mobo) and then wire up a 100 ohm resistor(I think) to the positive lead on an n64 power LED, and connect it to the two LED solder pads (LEDC2 and LEDA2)

You'll have to reconnect the speakers to U1-GND(for both) and SPLO(left speaker) and SPRO(right speaker).

SS

IDEA IDEA IDEA IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!
What if you hooked the backlight on the bottom screen up to the contacts for both the top and bottom backlight? Then you wouldn't need an LED!

ShockSlayer said:
I remember palmertech telling me that on the DS lite all it needed to boot without a top screen was current being drawn from the LCD's backlight

Ima geenius. :dah:

But with there being two screens and all, wouldn't that affect the game play, being that some games for the DS have literally nothing on the bottom screen. Although it could be used as some sort of Gameboy, although I don't see any reason you would need it :rolleyes: but anyway great discovery. Btw this is my first post so bare that in mind :dahroll:

Holy bump Batman.
This does remind of the April Fools "prank" I did that added a million word filters of nonsense, though. Good times. :lol:

Sorry to ask but I'm interested. (cos I'm stuck modding my Phat and need help)

Could you make a step by step guide? (with images or videos, but with wrote explanation for those who don't understand spoken english very well)

Thanks in advance.

Back