Big GBA (DS Lite mod) Completed

Re: Big GBA (DS Lite mod)

Gamerlolwind said:
i received sneakxxattack's package i the mail today that i bought from him and item i wanted.
thanx so much for the help, man :)

and using my broken DS Lite motherboard i took a picture and labeled the LED pints for the LED solder mod:

more soon when i receive my next ds lite unit.

Where do these points exist on a DSi?

I took apart my DSi but it does not work without a top screen attached. I reattached the top screen and it worked again, so I know I didn't break anything.

I want to do a similar mod to a DSi, but it does not appear to have any points labelled LEDA2 and LEDC2. (or LEDA1 and LEDC1)

For reference here are pics of the DSi's boards:

DSi motherboard:
http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dsi_mainboard_back.jpg

DSi motherboard, other side:
http://www.chicagoiparts.com/Thumbnails/Nintendo DSi Motherboard.jpg

DSi dpad powerboard: (talk about being totally different from the DS Lite..)
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/13226...L-SUB-01_NDSi_arrow_keys_mainboard_module.jpg

DSI dpad powerboard, other side (nothing there..):
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/13226...L-SUB-01_NDSi_arrow_keys_mainboard_module.jpg

So which of those points will do the trick? Is there a way of knowing?

Re: Big GBA (DS Lite mod)

zeello said:
Where do these points exist on a DSi?

I took apart my DSi but it does not work without a top screen attached. I reattached the top screen and it worked again, so I know I didn't break anything.

I want to do a similar mod to a DSi, but it does not appear to have any points labelled LEDA2 and LEDC2. (or LEDA1 and LEDC1)

For reference here are pics of the DSi's boards:

DSi motherboard:
http://gameusagi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dsi_mainboard_back.jpg

DSi motherboard, other side:
http://www.chicagoiparts.com/Thumbnails/Nintendo DSi Motherboard.jpg

DSi dpad powerboard: (talk about being totally different from the DS Lite..)

DSI dpad powerboard, other side (nothing there..):

So which of those points will do the trick? Is there a way of knowing?

hay zeelio,
um, man sorry this LED mod only works for the NDS Phat and Lite units only, not for DSi. :(.

if you want to try this LED mod out, find a DSL to do it.

DSi it won't work as there aren't any LED points like the ones for DSL.
also, best use a DSL for this mod and not a dsi, don't ruin the dsi for no reason as this mod doesn't exist for dsi and it won't work as it is not designed for it.

hope this helps you out :)

Ok but this makes me really curious as to why DS Lite has these particular points but not DSi. To be honest I don't even know why ANY of these points exist. DSL and DSi have tons and tons of them but it's like.. oh these LEDA2/LEDC2 points... those are the chosen ones, use those! Why that is, I have no idea. :awesome:

But if none of the DSi points work, then there is another way... I just saw a youtube vid an hour ago of someone attaching a resister to the top screen ribbon cable.

DS Lite to GBA Tutorial Part 2 of 3 by rs1n

This method seems much harder but I may have no other choice.

zeello said:
Ok but this makes me really curious as to why DS Lite has these particular points but not DSi. To be honest I don't even know why ANY of these points exist. DSL and DSi have tons and tons of them but it's like.. oh these LEDA2/LEDC2 points... those are the chosen ones, use those! Why that is, I have no idea. :awesome:

But if none of the DSi points work, then there is another way... I just saw a youtube vid an hour ago of someone attaching a resister to the top screen ribbon cable.

DS Lite to GBA Tutorial Part 2 of 3 by rs1n

This method seems much harder but I may have no other choice.

yeah, well the single reason why LEDA2/LEDC2 points are for making the led work is because the ds top screen uses the backlight from those, so if you attach an led to those two points, it emulates the backlight function without having physically a top screen.

i remember when shockslayer did this mod on his ds phat back in the day through for ds phat it is a little different and harder than ds Lite. And then majora did this led mod on the lite, the one that i got from him which inspired me to make my ds lite led mod.

the thread which ss mentions that the ds can run without a top screen using an led that emulates the backlight is here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=623

also, the youtube video you showed me here, does the guy making this guide is he trying the same mod ish but using an resitor instead of an led, it's col through.

and the part isn't part 2 like you typed, but part 1 of 3 when i clicked on the video to see it.

i wonder if the guy making the guide is aware of my ds lite mod? maybe maybe not.

also this work log has 42 replies? LOL how come so many?

Ok I noticed something else.. in the video, he removes the solder that held the speaker wires.. but doesn't add the resistor to those points. (why did he remove the solder then??)

This is bad because I kinda broke off that part of the ribbon cable by accident. So now I may have potentially screwed my chances of using the ribbon cable method.

I should take another look at the ribbon cable though... it seems I can avoid all the trouble of figuring out which are the right pins, by simply using the ribbon cable, which has only 6 points, and 4 of them are speaker, leaving me with only 2 points... it's a sure thing!... maybe?

yeah, well the single reason why LEDA2/LEDC2 points are for making the led work is because the ds top screen uses the backlight from those, so if you attach an led to those two points, it emulates the backlight function without having physically a top screen.
It sounds simple... DSi screen is backlit obviously.. so this mod is guaranteed to work. You're getting me revved up... lol

the thread which ss mentions that the ds can run without a top screen using an led that emulates the backlight is here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=623
OP provides a link showing pinouts for DS and DS Lite... no DSi though. (Dangit!)
Though I'm not sure what the pinouts mean, and all the graphs at the bottom are totally beyond me. This is really hardcore stuff. Wish there was more like it though.

also, the youtube video you showed me here, does the guy making this guide is he trying the same mod ish but using an resitor instead of an led, it's col through.
On that note... the vid has blue cables attached to the resistor.. as far as I can tell, resistors come with exposed wiring, not insulated wire/cable..

Everyone I've seen doing this DS Lite mode uses insulated resistors.

So I'm guessing they bought insulated wire and attached it to the resistor
OR
they added insulation to the resistor

edit: Looking over this thread, it seems like your cables are separate from the LED. Seems my guess was right. But this means I will have to buy some.

edit: DSi top screen is $13 on amazon.. hmmm... comes with a fresh ribbon cable.... wink wink nudge nudge. Well, it's something I could always resort to.

zeello said:

It sounds simple... DSi screen is backlit obviously.. so this mod is guaranteed to work. You're getting me revved up... lol

edit: Looking over this thread, it seems like your cables are separate from the LED. Seems my guess was right. But this means I will have to buy some.

edit: DSi top screen is on amazon.. hmmm... comes with a fresh ribbon cable.... wink wink nudge nudge. Well, it's something I could always resort to.

um, actually i meant the backlight thing is Strictly for DSL only! NOT for DSI.

it won't work on dsi at all, if you want to use a ds with one screen get a dsLite and make the LED mod on it or add a resitor, but forget the idea of making this method for dslite work on a dsi, because it won't, it it works then someone here would have found that out, also no need to waste your money, time and such on a dsi screen mode, best try the DSlite mod with a dsLite instead, trust me it works WAY better than a dsi.

yes, the LED points on a dsLite are + and -, i used red for + and black for -, makes it easier to understand know which wire is which.

Not so fast. I got a bottom-screen-only DSi working, and I was ecstatic. It started up, I got to home screen, I connected to the DSi Shop, and even plugged in headphones and it works! (the shop theme is dang good, I must say. It may be one of my new favorite vg themes, lol)

But then I took apart the DSi one last time to put the wifi cable in, and when I tested it afterwards, something was wrong. The screen was fading... not only that but looking at the screen made me dizzy and nauseous. (it's like the screen was rapidly flickering, too fast for the naked eye to notice, but I could tell something was off) The screen would continue to fade slightly more and more, until an error message came up (all black with white text), similar or identical to this one:
11497115-error-message.jpg

I tried doing different things, but the problem occurs no matter what. Headphones still work however. One of the things I tried: I went to system settings, and changed the screen brightness.
- when I went below 2 or 3 screen brightness, the system shut off instantly. (On another forum, acidmods I think, they mentioned something like this! Lowering the screen brightness made their topless DS Lite stop working!) (EDIT: http://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=21816.0 "btw too much resistance will shut off the ds" also "I just tested a diode and it does work even on the full brightness but you cant change brightnesses too fast or else it will turn off.")
- when I increased screen brightness to 5 (it was originally at 4) the flickering was more noticeable!

I saved screen brightness at 5... but in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have, because what if I get the system to work, but only at 4, but with no way to change it to 4. D'oh!

Anyway, I theorize that one of these things might be the problem:
a) the resistor is the wrong kind
b) the resistor was damaged from heat
c) the top screen ribbon cable was damaged from heat
d) the soldering work I did was terrible (iirc a youtube vid I watched previously said that bad solder work or corrosion will drain power)
e) the bottom screen became damaged somehow

At the moment, I am trying again with a different kind of resistor, and am using conductive glue instead of actually soldering. The glue says it will dry overnight at room temperature, so I am currently waiting while it dries.

The behavior of the issue (screen fading more and more until the system gives out) makes it almost seem like the screen isn't getting sufficient power. In that case, the resistor or the connection is probably sucking up too much power.

But you're saying the DSi screens aren't backlit? If they are backlit, then it should work, right?
Also, if you look at the top screen ribbon cable, it has only 6 connections, and 4 are for speakers.
You got me all revved up, man! Everything I've accomplished in my latest go at it, was partly thanks to you! And now you're saying it can't work, lol. I hope it can work. But if I'm wrong and it can't work, then can someone please explain why it can't work, so I don't waste any more time on a lost cause!

forget the idea of making this method for dslite work on a dsi, because it won't, it it works then someone here would have found that out
I thought the reason this mod doesn't exist was because nobody bothered to do it, not because it isn't possible.

best try the DSlite mod with a dsLite instead, trust me it works WAY better than a dsi.
Works way better in what sense?

yes, the LED points on a dsLite are + and -, i used red for + and black for -, makes it easier to understand know which wire is which.
Does it matter which wire is which? Well, I am using a resistor so I assume the points are the interchangeable. I assume what you are saying is referring to LEDs specifically.

But you're saying the DSi screens aren't backlit? If they are backlit, then it should work, right?
Also, if you look at the top screen ribbon cable, it has only 6 connections, and 4 are for speakers.
You got me all revved up, man! Everything I've accomplished in my latest go at it, was partly thanks to you! And now you're saying it can't work, lol. I hope it can work. But if I'm wrong and it can't work, then can someone please explain why it can't work, so I don't waste any more time on a lost cause!

forget the idea of making this method for dslite work on a dsi, because it won't, it it works then someone here would have found that out
I thought the reason this mod doesn't exist was because nobody bothered to do it, not because it isn't possible.

best try the DSlite mod with a dsLite instead, trust me it works WAY better than a dsi.
Works way better in what sense?

Does it matter which wire is which? Well, I am using a resistor so I assume the points are the interchangeable. I assume what you are saying is referring to LEDs specifically.[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure about a screen mod on the dsi, I'm experience is only for dslite. so i can't really offer any advice on the subject, sorry man.
it's good to see that my dslite mod got you revved up to attempt your dsi screen mod, that's a good thing, inspiration is what keeps the forum alive and it's members thriving for even greater heights and challenges not matter how difficult or risky or a pain in the ass they may be.

if the led points form the dslite don't exist one the dsi, this mod won't work for dsi, i mean the mod I'm doing that is. if you can find the backlight points for the dsi, then you could i guess hook up a led or resitor and see if it works, but a dsi can play ds games most of them use two screens, some use one only, gab games don't work on dsi because of no slot 2 which sucks.

um, i guess it could be 50/50 argument,
1) yes, it is possible that making a dsi work without a top screen hasn't been done before, same like dslite until major did the mod and then i got motivated from his discovery that it was so easy to do that i could do the mod swell even at a new be level. and it happened, my mod proves that it can be done very early on a dslite without much effort even at novice/newb level :).

2) like you said before i think that nobody has really bothered to attempt a dsi bottom screen mod, but it is also way hard and tricker to do than a dslite or phat mod.

i meant that doing the DSlite mod is easier than on a dsi, and doesn't take much effort to do.

i think it does, cause if you hook up the led points on the board wrong like

+ = led -
- = led +

it won't work, it has to be + with + and - with -.
or power won't be able to flow from the battery to the system and give it energy.

Maybe I should try an LED instead of a resistor and maybe that will work.
But does an LED produce heat? Wouldn't want it to melt anything in there.

1) yes, it is possible that making a dsi work without a top screen hasn't been done before, same like dslite until major did the mod and then i got motivated from his discovery that it was so easy to do that i could do the mod swell even at a new be level. and it happened, my mod proves that it can be done very early on a dslite without much effort even at novice/newb level :).
I tried soldering and it is Dang hard! I don't think I will do it anymore, I'll just use conducting glue instead.. assuming it works. I haven't verified that it even works yet.. the DSi doesn't power on now... but I used a different resistor this time and maybe it's just the wrong kind of resistor.

The only other problem with the glue is that the instructions say that it dries overnight.. (edit: it "cures" overnight) so I spend a long time waiting for it to dry with each attempt. *sigh* (edit: But I decided not to wait that long. I will try 1 hour and that should be good enough to test.)

So right now it looks like I will be in a phase of trying over and over with various kinds of resistors. In which case I might as well give LED a shot as well.

"I didn't fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps."
- Thomas Edison

i meant that doing the DSlite mod is easier than on a dsi, and doesn't take much effort to do.
Just to restate for the record, I got the DSi working with bottom screen only... but on the 2nd boot up I noticed the screen was fading.

But the point is: the system powered on and the bottom screen displayed---Doesn't this in itself prove that the DSi mod is absolutely, positively real? I mean, all I need to do is find out how to make the screen not fade away, which theoretically must be possible.

Anyway, I tried re-reading this thread in its entirety to see if I can find clues to my problem.

gamerlolwind said:
and using my broken DS Lite motherboard i took a picture and labeled the LED pints for the LED solder mod:

IMG_1247_zpsccb9d8fc.jpg

What does the blue box indicate? And why did you underline "C/USG-CPU-10" ?
I thought only LEDA2 and LEDC2 are needed, so I am wondering what the other stuff is for.

gamerlolwind said:
I did the mod, and I turn on the ds the led and power light (green) comes on, but no reaction from the screen? Why? And when I have the WIFI board attached the led and power come on for a brief time and then shut off?
For the record, I accidentally snapped the my DSi's wifi antenna cable at the base. I didn't notice when it happened. But right after I stuffed the wifi antenna in the bottom screen, that's when I first noticed the screen fading problem.... So maybe.. just maybe.. the wifi antenna cable is related, although doubtful.

Question is, should I buy a new wifi cable, or just try to glue mine back together? It should be easy to glue since it was the very base that snapped off.. not an insulated part.

EDIT: The new resistor does not seem to work. But strangely, the first time I power on the screen, it works for about ONE second, before shutting. All subsequent attempts result in the screen flicking once before shutting off, like it always does.

Well, that was dumb. Next I will try the old resistor again. (the one where I got the mod to work) I am using the old resistor for several reasons:
1) to make sure my top screen ribbon cable still works, and isn't screwed up from all the abuse. (solder, glue, scratching off excess glue/solder, peeling off tape, etc)
2) To make sure the conductive glue actually works at all. I want it to work damnit, but I need proof of this before I can continue.
3) Who knows, maybe it will actually work this time, now that I am using glue. Maybe the entire problem last time was the solder connection.

For the record:
old resistor (the one that WORKED!!) - 1k / half watt
new resistor (doesn't work) - 1.5k / half watt

I also have two more resistors which I'm told are 1.3k / quarter watt
But best of all, they are even smaller the ones I've tried to far. They will fit excellently inside the DSi's casing! (it really is a tight squeeze)

Nice! I'm not up to it myself but my friend is good with electronics and I was going to see if I could get him to make me a mod like yours.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to also map the L and R buttons of the DSL to the Y and X buttons instead (or as well)? Or would this be too difficult?

As I said I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of stuff so I would just like to know if it's worthwhile asking him to swap the buttons while he's got the thing open.

Either way, I don't mind if L and Y (and R and X) all still function at the time or if the L and R buttons end up having to get disabled to pull it off. The main thing I'm wanting is for all four face buttons of the DSL to function as the four main action buttons of the GBA.

If it's doable I also wonder if it would be possible to go a step further and get B mapped to Y, A mapped to B, and then the L and R functions to the two remaining X and A buttons.

newk said:
Nice! I'm not up to it myself but my friend is good with electronics and I was going to see if I could get him to make me a mod like yours.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to also map the L and R buttons of the DSL to the Y and X buttons instead (or as well)? Or would this be too difficult?

As I said I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of stuff so I would just like to know if it's worthwhile asking him to swap the buttons while he's got the thing open.

Either way, I don't mind if L and Y (and R and X) all still function at the time or if the L and R buttons end up having to get disabled to pull it off. The main thing I'm wanting is for all four face buttons of the DSL to function as the four main action buttons of the GBA.

If it's doable I also wonder if it would be possible to go a step further and get B mapped to Y, A mapped to B, and then the L and R functions to the two remaining X and A buttons.

mapping the buttons? um when you mean mapping for GBA games or emulators like new etc?

for emulators like nes or such on the ds, you can map the buttons in the emu's button mapping section of the emu, for actual hardware wire mapping i dunno how. :confused:

i wonder if that is even possible to physical achieve, it would be cool if you could do that, through soldering wires and such. "maybe"

Hi there guys, im from chile and im trying to get this mod works for a while.
i have the following problem. i screwed lda 2 and lec2 points..... fakng soldring...but my question is...theres is another place where i can solder the led?
thanks for your help.

atte
sebastian

Back