Big GBA (DS Lite mod) Completed

Gamerlolwind

hay guys, im getting a DSI soon to play my R4I gold on, so im thinking of modding my old 2006 DS lite console.

i'll be modding it with removing the top screen and using it as a Big GBA system.

Big GBA, cause it is a GBA with a bigger screen than an SP or Orginal GBA systems, plus DS Lite has cooler backlight/frontlight :awesome: Toasty

more soon when i have my DSI, i'll start to mod my DS lite :)

um, questions:

1) to use the speakers that the DS lite has without a top screen, how can i do this?
and is it possible?

2) can i use an Acekard or similar cart with one screen for some DS games?

like to load GBAexploder to load my games from it via the 3in1 slot 2 expansion pack? for example?

also, where can i find an EZflash IV for the GBA?

Re: Big GBA (DS Lite mod)

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=623

Hm?

It seems like you can, just change the settings in the flashcart to use only bottom screen, and gba to use bottom screen

Thanx for the link sneakxxxattack,
I've read and seen the info of ss's find.
Um, yeah I guess that I can get the dsl to work without top screen,
Just the ds flashcart is kinda of a bummer, I checked my R4i gold to see if it has a bottom screen setting, but nothing :(.

Maybe there is a flashcart that runs on the bottom screen only,
The gba bottom screen feature of the ds lite is great :).

Um, about using the ds lite speakers without it's top screen, how do I do it?

Also, I have a ds lite, and I found a second good condition ds lite on amazon uk from a market place seller for 50€ :).

I'll be using the second ds lite for this mod :).

I have guides from ifixit.com on how to dissameble the ds lite and such which will help out a lot.

Um, I'll check for which nds flashcart can run with only the bottom screen,
Do you know where i can find an EZ Flash IV for playing gba games? I have searched around the net for a store that has it, but no luck :(. Out of stock most online stores.

The ds lite modding is as simple as just removing the top screen and soldering an LED to two points on the bottom ds lite board.
The two points are LEDA2 and LEDC2.

so, the LED goes like this:

Led Pins

+ LEDA2
- LEDC2

like so, that's what majora's diagram showed :)

Marjora did this mod on his ds lite too, I saw his video on it. He showed a picture of the led solder points.

More soon on this when I have my ds lite from amazon uk order recived.

I have acekard 2i and supercard dstwo(this one has built in gba emulation), both excellent, you should look into those 2.

I've looked for ez flash IVs no dice. I ended up getting a supercard miniSD, which sucks and has died on me.

Good luck on this project, I saw another trying to accomplish something similar. I think it was the one you mentioned.

Edit:
For the acekard, my gba solution was the firmware akaio with the ez flash 3 in 1

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
I have acekard 2i and supercard dstwo(this one has built in gba emulation), both excellent, you should look into those 2.

I've looked for ez flash IVs no dice. I ended up getting a supercard miniSD, which sucks and has died on me.

Good luck on this project, I saw another trying to accomplish something similar. I think it was the one you mentioned.

Edit:
For the acekard, my gba solution was the firmware akaio with the ez flash 3 in 1

Thanx for the pro tip, sneakxxxattack :)
Cool, you have an acekard + 3in1? Sweet :)
I got a 3in1 too, found it on gadgetgear uk site :)

I'm thinking into getting an acekard, but which one?
Acekard RPG or acekard2i?

http://www.r4i-gold-3ds.com/acekard-2i- ... d-dsi.html

Or

http://www.r4i-gold-3ds.com/acekard-2i- ... te-ds.html

I got my r4i gold from this site, and I'm also thinking of getting my acekard from here,
(They have free shipping on ALL flashcarts :) )

Thanx, man :)
I'm so excited for this mod, it'll be so cool XD.

Um, yeah marjora made a video of his ds lite and posted the pinout of where to solder the LED too :)

Also, I bought a supercard mini for the gba from an ebay seller, and, yeah it simply sucks as it wouldn't work well with my saves, wouldn't regonize them and had bad compatablty. :(.

With only a quick search to see the differences between the akrpg and the ak2i, I'm leaning ak2i, for higher home brew compatibility,

The internal memory doesn't seem too useful now on the akrpg

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
With only a quick search to see the differences between the akrpg and the ak2i, I'm leaning ak2i, for higher home brew compatibility,

The internal memory doesn't seem too useful now on the akrpg

hmm, okay i'll get the acekard2i it looks cooler than the RPG :p.

also i found a dutch guy's mod on a ds phat, he should how he modded the ds etc. um i think to keep the speakers and have the sound still working you need to keep the rbbion cable they are attached on attached to the ds but with the top screen removed.

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 92&act=url

well, that's what i got from his video, not sure if that is how to keep sound still working? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... sDeUh6hVP4

Oh that is the one I saw.

About the speakers, I think just looking at the tear down guide,you can see how the lines trace and see what you need to keep.

hay guys,today i received my ds lite form amazon uk :)

it came with a rumble ds lite slot 2 which i have lost mine :)

I'm surprised at how clean and super neat the unit is.
anyways i modded it, opened it,

but at one point of my dissassembly using the ifixit guide,

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+ ... zel/4813/1

i broke by accident the P6 black connector part which is for the lower screen's touch screen :(.

so the ds's screen's wouldn't turn on etc.
and if that isn't bad...

the power switch broke off and stuff :(

yeah, my disassembly worked for the most part, as i carefully followed the ifixit guide, but the bottom screen touch P6 part really messed me up big time :(

hmmm. i kepted the bottom half shell with buttons and all i dissembled and top screen with speakers etc, so i can just change the shell of the next dsl i get to the one i got today. :)

yep, that's right. i won't give up, i'll just buy other del and start again (this time however i won't remove the touch screen tiny ribbon cable, as that's what messed me up the first time O.O)

more when i receive my next new dsl from another amazon uk order i'll make soon...

this "side project" is at a halt now as i'll have to wait some more until i receive my new dsl.

i received sneakxxattack's package i the mail today that i bought from him and item i wanted.
thanx so much for the help, man :)

and using my broken DS Lite motherboard i took a picture and labeled the LED pints for the LED solder mod:

more soon when i receive my next ds lite unit.

Someone in this thread said that a resistor would do in place of the LED.

Can I do this without soldering? For that matter, I was hoping to do this without having to dismantle the bottom half at all!

zeello said:
Someone in this thread said that a resistor would do in place of the LED.

Can I do this without soldering? For that matter, I was hoping to do this without having to dismantle the bottom half at all!

yes, i have read about using a resitor instead of an LED on the points LEDA2 & LEDC2.
i'll be using the LED option on my ds lite.
through the resitor option looks cool too :mrgreen:

um, do this tiny mod without soldering?
no, you really can't do it without soldering,
you MUST use soldering in order to be able to get this mod to work.

um, no you must access the bottom half for the ds lite (only) (as on phat you use the boat on the top screen).
anyways on the bottom screen the two solder points i mentioned in my worklog here, found by Majora (thanx to him for his soldering diagram) are located only on the bottom screen which you must solder the led too in order for the ds to draw the extra power needed fro the system to run on one screen only instead of two.

the only issue i have is trying to find out how to reconnect the ds lite speakers to the system and work without a top screen.

Well then what tool do I need to solder and how much will it cost?
I pretty much need it only for performing this mod, and maybe modding/repairing DS's in general. (any model of DS)

"the only issue i have is trying to find out how to reconnect the ds lite speakers"

Just in case you didn't know this: I was told that the speakers contain magnets which when near the bottom half tell the system to go into sleep mode. The user who mentioned this made it sound like the speakers are therefore unusable, but I have to wonder why you can't just remove the magnets. (assuming it's possible to remove them)

zeello said:
Well then what tool do I need to solder and how much will it cost?
I pretty much need it only for performing this mod, and maybe modding/repairing DS's in general. (any model of DS)

"the only issue i have is trying to find out how to reconnect the ds lite speakers"

Just in case you didn't know this: I was told that the speakers contain magnets which when near the bottom half tell the system to go into sleep mode. The user who mentioned this made it sound like the speakers are therefore unusable, but I have to wonder why you can't just remove the magnets. (assuming it's possible to remove them)

you need a soldering iron, they're easy to find. try your local hardware store etc.

a 30W iron is good for this stuff :)

um, really? so it causes the ds to go into sleep mode? that's odd?

zeello said:

There is magnetic sensor underneath A-B-X-Y which is triggered by the speaker.
I guess you can open up the ds, take a magnet/speaker (smaller the better) and wave it around the ABXY circuit and see where the system goes to sleep. Then cut the grounding trace if possible

If i where you i REALLY try to get a ez flash, just because then the ds will be in true GBA mode and not a flashcard like acekard 2i and supercard dstwo.

As you name it Big GBA, you should really go for 100% compatability and speed

Those flashcards and their emulators arent perfect, if you want emulation , then you can beter go find some sort of linux dingoo device with a big screen and very good gba support.

easier to integrate then a ds imo..

SNEAKxxATTACK said:
@akira

Gamerlolwind said:
Cool, you have an acekard + 3in1? Sweet :)
I got a 3in1 too, found it on gadgetgear uk site :)

Isn't this a true gba solution?

Thanx sneakxxxattack :)

here's a quick and easy audio amp external i put together the other day using a ds lite speaker and a li ion 3.7v battery :)

i won't be using a speaker in my ds lite mod, so this will be useful as i can plug it in a headphonejack of a GBA/ds/micro etc and it works as an speaker for said system :)

News! 13/5/13

I got my new ds lite unit today,

I took it apart and modded it using the LED mod form majora.

I'm also thinking of using the silver buttons etc in my black ds lite shell like so:

I did the mod, and I turn on the ds the led and power light (green) comes on, but no reaction from the screen? Why? And when I have the WIFI board attached the led and power come on for a brief time and then shut off?

?

the ds lite needs the wifi modulle to boot, without it it wont start.

if the ds turns on and immediatelyshuts down then there is a ground loop error.
most of the times because of the lcd ribbon cables not properly seated.

instead of that led you can also solder the backlite strip from the upper lcd to those points, that works for sure.

like here

DSC03027.JPG

Back