bentomo's controller pinout notes

bentomo

Frequent Poster
This is not a guide, just a few things I'd like to point out about the gamecube controller.

One of the most annoying things about gamecube modding is the controller pinout, so I experimented with a controller with my on my phoenix and figured out what you need for portable functionality.

This picture is from kasars guide, you can look at his guide to figure out where they all connect on your gamecube.

gamecubecontrollerboardnd0.jpg

pin 1 - This is the 5v power supply line for rumble. It takes the voltage straight up, you can connect it directly from a regulator no problem. You can use 3.4v from other lines but it is weaker on the default rumble motor, you just need to use a different motor if you want it stronger.

pin 2 - This is the main data line of a gamecube controller it is absolutely necessary for official controller use, however, a wavebird will not function on this pin alone. Each player has its own individual data line, all the other pins are bridged along every controller port, so if you are using other controller ports, this is the only one that needs traced to 4 different spots on the gamecube.

pin 3 - Ground
pin 4 - Ground, you need to bridge both grounds for rumble to work, but you only need pin 3 if you're using a single controller

pin 5 - Completely unused pin, nintendo probably had plans for it but didn't end up using it.

pin 6 -This is another data pin, so far the only thing I can tell that needs it is the wavebird, it's common along all controllers so best just to reconnect just in case.
SonyQrio has found that pin 6 actually just needs 3.34v power, there's no logic involved whatsoever, so just connect it to the power supply.
My theory is it's just extra power for things such as the wavebird.

So using an official controller you only need these combination of wires

Complete functionality -
4 wires
Ground - bridged to pin 3 and 4
Main data line - pin 2 (for that specific controller, player 1, 2, 3, or 4)
5v for rumble - pin 3 (or other voltages depending on what motor you use)
secondary data line - pin 6 (I strongly recommend always connecting this line, its not always necessary but I'm not sure if it's always used)

No rumble, no wavebird, just basic official controller -
3 wires
main data line
ground
pin 6, main power line

So that's basically what I've figured out so far. If you want other controller support like I usually use, you only need 1 extra wire for complete functionality vs an n64, that being the 6th pin, the secondary data line, as the the 3 other lines are common among all the controller.

Any corrections would be helpful, and I'd like to know what that 6th pin is really for.

Sony found out that all pin 6 needs is 3.4v power, no logic involved, so you can just feed it from the power supply.

It should be noted that, while its possible to use only 2 wires (data/ground) to get a controller working. I think it is probably a BAD idea to power the logic chip through the dataline. I have ALWAYS relocated the 3.4v from the regulator to pin 6. Which is also why I had trouble figuring out why sony's controller wouldn't work. Since I always hook that line back up I've never encountered the problem he had. I just assumed everyone else was always hooking up the 3.4v logic power too.

I just traced it to the resistor near the front of the gamecube, I didn't know it was just power.

Yeah, that makes sense.

So that means that this is wrong for boards that have had the logic resistors removed.

bentomo said:
No rumble, no wavebird, just basic official controller -
2 wires
main data line
ground

Since those resistors are gone, you can no longer power the controller just off of the main data line. You have to have 3.3v going to Pin 6 in order to power the logic supply.

Oh, and you might want to change your wording from "secondary data line" to "logic power line," or something along the lines of that.

Good work guys.

Back