Battery help

superthorn96

Well before I ask my question let me tell ya about my self

Well i use to go to benheck but i didn't get alot of help from their.... so ShockSlayer and a few other people told me about this great place.

so here i am..... and i am also a mega noob and i have alot of typos :dahroll:

oh... and at benheck i would post all of my questions on a another post........ so that was not smart of me :hit: but here i will be sure to post all of my questions on this form :mrgreen:

anyway..

at benheck i asked ShockSlayer if i could use these batteries (http://www.amazon.com/AGAIN-HR72-KIT-Ni ... B00006JP8J)

and he said yes i could

( ok i know what your thinking NiCd is so dumb ::3:

but for my first portable i don't want to spend a lot of money..... so i will go with these

Anyway

After SS said i could use these batteries i asked him how would i be able to abstact power from them
so they could power my n64

he then told me i need to solder wires to the metal parts ( the white charging port )

but those are for charging( how would i be able to charge from the metal parts if their are serveral wires on it)

i know I Need 3 wires from positive and 3 wires from ground ( 1 will go to the screen ) ( 1 will go to the n64) ( and 1 will go to the step down regulator )

so how in the world will i be able to abstract power from it

where do i solder the wires( remember their are 3 wires)

Ok, detailed instructions time:

Strip the wires on the plug, and solder there.

IMG_2063.jpg

Semi-stripped wire, on a similar battery.

OR, you can take a trip to your local radioshack and buy some replacement plugs like I've done before.

This is what the plug looks like, except without the alligator clips and the other end:
IMG_2066.jpg

SS

Can anyone help me out

I think i fried my n64

well i took it apart because i was going to mod it then i pluged it to the power and turned it one to see if it still worked

15 mins later i tried to turn it one again and the red light would not go on :cry4:

check for solder splats wiring errors. N64's are finnicky like this. Also take out the Jumper/Expansion Pak, turn it on and off, then put it back in.

ToastBucket said:
check for solder splats wiring errors. N64's are finnicky like this. Also take out the Jumper/Expansion Pak, turn it on and off, then put it back in.

That's the thing I did't even start to solder the n64

I just had the n64 connected to the ac adapter turned it on to see if it work( wich it did )
and like 15 mins later it would not turn on anymore

I think it may be the ac adapter

I hope it's the ac adapter and not the n64

What were you doing with the n64? it fries very easily and i suggest wearing a ground strap any you even look at it. Did you try the jumper pak thingy? I had the same problem and that worked for me. Also make sure the cartridge slot is in.

I learned that the hard way - NEVER test ANYTHING without a heatsink that needs a heatsink. Ever. Ever. EVER.

didn't daftmike have his n64 on for 4 hours without heatsinks, running perfect dark multiplayer 4 bot mode without it dying or getting super duper extra sizzley hot?
I run my n64s without heatsinks all the time just to see how hot they get. (the only part that gets super hot for the first while is the 7805)

snowpenguin said:
N64s are $10 from jlee, not 20-30 lol.

And less than that from stupid people. I bought a whole bag of N64 stuff including an awesome blue controller for $10.

superthorn96 said:
but i only had it on for 1 min

Who knows what happened. Probably not static, though, as the N64 rarely if ever dies from static. Usually it dies from crossed power lines and sometimes from bad slot relocation. I've never heard of it dying from heat either, but it is possible.

this is about a stepdown regulator

what kind size of the resistor do we need

ok i know we need around 1.8ohm - 2ohm - 2.2ohm

but what W do we need

i know they came in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 1 W

so what size do i need

Thanks

You need a 1.8K, 2K, or 2.2K, preferably a 2K or 2.2K. 1.8K has a chance of overvolting which is bad. The wattage doesn't matter, 1/4w is the standard I think.

ok i have a new question

why does it matter what watt we use for the soldering iron
why can't we use 120W on the n64 and wire

Is it ok it i have 25w soldering iron :D

More watts=more heat=more likely to burn and *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up the board.

However, 45 watters with small tips are great for RCP wiring/ exp. pak relocations, as you can touch for 1 second and it's done.

Back