Ashen's PS2 thing ~ worklog ~

I can't seem to get it to work right Ash.

I have all the exact same parts as you. PS2/Dalian 5" screen, cable with converter, etc.

I am hooking up R and B from the PS2 board to the video converter board. I have sync coming from the s-video Y sync line.

But it is un-syncing all the time. Every time the screen changes scenes.

Problems ? I do just hook up the Red/Blue coming from the PS2 to the R and B on the converter board right and then the S-ideo Y sync, then 5v , then ground ?

Nope, you want to take RGB straight from the PS2 and wire direct to the screens RGB VGA inputs. Take the Y s-video output from the PS2 and wire it to the Y input on the converter, then take the H/V symc output from the converter and wire it to the screens VGA H/V sync inputs.

Make sure your PS2 is set to output RGB in the bios.

Yep, pretty much we are just using the converter board as a sync splitter and not a video converter. I can even get VGA out of PSOne titles now, as long as they display @ 480i.

Keep in mind that this still only works with interlaced video modes for all applications (15khz VGA). So no progressive scan (31khz VGA) with this setup. If only NTSC GameCubes output RGB... /sigh....

P.S. I never did get this back together last night. I got caught up reading the new Dan Brown novel. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight and get some threads up later this week.

Cool.

I have sync now, but when going to cutscenes or in between loading the screen turns off then back on. Barely noticeable but it is annoying.

Any idea what that could be. I tried it with 2 different Dailian screens/boards. Could it be I got the later model boards that have a 15khz problem?

Also I have not found a 6.2" or 6.5" lcd board yet that it will work on and I've tried 3 now. They must not like 15khz. Sigh.....

I dunno man, what games are you using to test? I haven't really noticed anything like what you describe while testing with god of war 1/2 and FFX.

I didn't know newer Dalian displays had an issue with 15khz. The one in my PS2p here is a 5.6" with the newer revision driver board and it works fine. You're probably going to have to get a Dalian 6.2/6.5 if you want 15khz VGA. I don't think any other screen manufacturer supports 15khz, Heck I don't think Dalian even officially supports it. It just works.

Yea yours does the same thing. See where the screen goes totally black with no backlight shining through. That is the screen turning itself totally off because of no signal. It comes right back on and I guess it's no big deal, but the screen doesn't do that with any other vga input I use.

The real reason I noticed it is because the power supply I use to power the screens turns on a fan when under load and no fan with no load. So I can tell each time the screen turns off/on.

Ahh, I see what you're talking about now. Guess we'll just have to live with it. Cause this is likely as good as it gets for PS2 portables anyway. I didn't really even notice it till you pointed it out to be honest. :D

The new dalian screens SUCKKKKK. I keep trying to order the old ones from this chinese supplier, but they are running out :/

Back