Are there mods for 4 controller built in mounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asron87, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Asron87

Asron87 Member

Sorry I'm new to this. I'm wanting to make a sega console with 4 controller mounts on the front of the console like other 4 player console are made. I'd like to make it from the sega 1 or 2 (or 3 if I can add an LED) with the "team player" adapter to be used for NBA Jam and College Slam.

Wanting:
    inclosed 1-4 player console jacks
    upgraded LED power on light (5mm)
    best sound and video
    able to play NBA Jam/College Slam
    the smaller the better

Any info on this would be great.

2. Kickback

Kickback Teen Idle Staff Member

If you want the best Audio & Video, go with the Model 1, the early Model 1 units easily have the best Audio & Video.

3. Asron87

Asron87 Member

yeah i know the model 1 is easily modded but I was hoping for the model 2 or 3 because they are a little smaller.

4. Kickback

If size is a serious issue, yeah go with the Model 2 (don't waste your time with the Model 3 unless you're making a really small portable), generally the Model 2 is kinda cheap and flaxty though.

5. TheGreek

TheGreek Member

What about the main issue adding 4 ports to a Sega?

6. Kickback

7. TheGreek

TheGreek Member

Of course I know they had a multi port tap, so Dude give the guy a direction to go towards.

8. Kickback

I'm sure he's already aware of the existence of the multi-tap, he's just gotta find one (last time i checked they arent very expensive, i picked mine up for £10), open it and find a way to fit it in the case.

Make sure to buy the second model of the Team Player with 2 controller cables and an Extra switch, that supports both EA and Non-EA games, where as the older Team Player doesn't work with games requiring the 4 Way Player.

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Official-Se ... 256c328419

$15.

9. Asron87

Asron87 Member

I have the multi-tap, I have sega models 1, 2, and 3. I want to make a custom case for a sega with 4 controller ports that can play 1-4 players on College slam. I'm sure I'm going to have to add some extra switches or something just to make sure I can play 1 and 2 player, and 3+ players. I was hoping someone already has posted a mod with a built in 1-4 player multi-tap so I could use it as a guide. The custom case I can do, I just need help with making sure I do the hard wiring correctly.

10. Kickback

I've never seen a mod like that, as for the switches, Sega's adapter contains a switch to alter modes so you keep compatibility with most games, the only game that doesn't work is Columns III since it has a 5-player mode, but that game sucks anyway.

11. tomqman

tomqman Member

what about using a model 1 case with a model 2/3 boards to give you extra room inside for a multi-tap. should be able to make it look stock with 4 controller ports

12. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

You could, but it's probably not necessary. Additionally, all Model 2s have inferior audio and most have inferior video.

13. Asron87

Asron87 Member

I plan on doing a CCAM mod and using RGB hookups and tv. I'd rather mod a model 2 than use model one. Does the team player work if you just wanted to use one controler/player?

14. Kickback

Yep

15. Asron87

Asron87 Member

Perfect, now I just need to find me a model 2 va4 and I can start working on this. I ran this by my brother, he says it should be pretty easy for him to do the wiring/soldering for me.

16. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Can't that be bypassed via chip transplant? Fairly certain it's been done before.

17. XCVG

XCVG ModRetro Legend

Not chip transplant per se, but you can get most of the quality back by rebuilding the audio and video circuits. I think the audio will still be mixed a little differently compared to the early Model 1s, but whether that's better or worse is subjective.

Or, if you're me, you plug it into a 32X. Doesn't do anything for the audio, but at least there's no vertical bars on the screen now.

18. Prog

Prog Not a Meme™ Staff Member

Vertical rainbow bars? Dang, I must have one of the late model 1s with inferior AV chips.
    Unless the RF is doing that...