Another idea that won't see fruition?

Jewjo

This is probably my fourth thread where I propose an idea for a future project and never get around to actually doing it. This one is probably the easiest yet though, so we shall see.

Basically, I plan on making a modular PSOne portable, because it'd be really, really, really simple. The only thing I'd need to do it throw in some batteries and wire up a controller. However, the controller won't be part of the case. No, that's not modular enough. I plan on cutting the controller in two, and installing jacks in each side of the controller and PSOne case. To make it even cooler, I think I'll make one controller half female and the other male, so that they can connect to each other for easy storage. :mrgreen: Mockup:
35lt402.jpg

I only have two questions (a new personal record?):
1. What batteries would you recommend? I'm looking at these, but I'm having a hard time fitting two into the PSOne case. I'm trying to put them in that open space to the right of the disk drive, but they're just a couple millimeters too tall. Any suggestions? And on the topic of batteries, where would the charger jack be best located?
2. How many pins would I need for the controller halves? 9, right: X, O, ロ, Δ, start, select, r1, r2, gnd?

I promise, I'll try to actually complete this project. Maybe. ;)

What, no analog? Also, I wouldn't cut up the controller like that. Awkward asymmetry. Cut it clean down the middle and move one of the buttons so that start and select are on the same side. And yeah, I think 9 is right, therefore a standard DB-9 should work.

EDIT: Instead of trying to cram batteries into the PSone, why not put them into the screen case, possibly extending the case? That way you can slam it on any PSone for instant almostportable action, and I think you can do less rewiring that way too.

XCVG said:
What, no analog? Also, I wouldn't cut up the controller like that. Awkward asymmetry. Cut it clean down the middle and move one of the buttons so that start and select are on the same side. And yeah, I think 9 is right, therefore a standard DB-9 should work.

EDIT: Instead of trying to cram batteries into the PSone, why not put them into the screen case, possibly extending the case? That way you can slam it on any PSone for instant almostportable action, and I think you can do less rewiring that way too.
I would prefer to keep symmetry in the controller, but I think it'd be easier to cut it like in that diagram. There's too much stuff crammed in the middle for me to rewire. Ease is also the reason I won't have analogue sticks (plus, how many games actually use them? No, seriously, the only PS1 games I have are the 3 FFs and Legend of Dragoon. :sweat: ).

Regarding the batteries in the screen, that's a really neat idea and I think it'd be worth the extra trouble.

EDIT: Actually, I could just get a 15 (?) pin jack on both sides, and only use nine. This way, if ever I decided to use analogue sticks, I wouldn't have to redo the jacks in the PSOne. This could work, right?

These and these would work, right?

Jewjo said:
XCVG said:

I would prefer to keep symmetry in the controller, but I think it'd be easier to cut it like in that diagram. There's too much stuff crammed in the middle for me to rewire. Ease is also the reason I won't have analogue sticks (plus, how many games actually use them? No, seriously, the only PS1 games I have are the 3 FFs and Legend of Dragoon. :sweat: ).

Regarding the batteries in the screen, that's a really neat idea and I think it'd be worth the extra trouble.

EDIT: Actually, I could just get a 15 (?) pin jack on both sides, and only use nine. This way, if ever I decided to use analogue sticks, I wouldn't have to redo the jacks in the PSOne. This could work, right?

These and these would work, right?

I can understand the lack of analog, then. I was always under the impression that the majority of games needed it, I guess not. Anyway, those connectors should work.

And it doesn't really matter where you cut, because the controller board will be in the PSone anyway. Basically all you need is the contact pads for the buttons. Trust me, asymmetrical controllers will look and feel *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up.

XCVG said:
I can understand the lack of analog, then. I was always under the impression that the majority of games needed it, I guess not. Anyway, those connectors should work.

And it doesn't really matter where you cut, because the controller board will be in the PSone anyway. Basically all you need is the contact pads for the buttons. Trust me, asymmetrical controllers will look and feel *LINK'D* up.
Wait, what? I was going to cut up the controller board and leave the two parts in the controller halves. Are you suggesting that I remove the board from the controller, shove it in the PSOne, and then wire that up to a custom pcb thing in each controller half?
Would you mind explaining that in a different way, or providing pictures? I don't think I'm getting it.

Okay, I thought you were going to put the actual controller chip and stuff in the PSone, and wire the buttons to that through the connector. I sorta see what you are doing, which frankly makes no sense to me. But with my way you need a custom PCB or sacrifice two controllers. As a side effect, you could use a DualShock board and build analog wings later.

XCVG said:
Jewjo said:
I was always under the impression that the majority of games needed it, I guess not.

Lots of games cannot use them, and the only games that NEED them are the Monkey Ball games. All the others work fine on dpad.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Yes, I did. Darn monkeys and apes, always getting themselves mixed up. :p

Back